Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings every1 and please accept my apologies in advance for not mastering the language properly (my signature tells where I write from).

Now my lovely Zaffy B purchased new in 10/2008 has recently started to leak a small oil drop on the floor. At the same time I also start to smell a little of burnt oil in the cabin when stopping for a while with eng running and heating system ventialtion on or just when manouvering around (especially when going backward)

Took her to the workshop where they visually (not in my presence) diagnosed the problem coming from the oil-coolant heat exchanger. They said it's a VERY expensive part (around £220+VAT) to be topped up with all the manual time for dismounting the exhaust collectors from the enginge block to expose the RADIATOR, ENGINE OIL COOLER. -OIL COOLER RADIATOR.

Did some research on the net and found out that the most common problem for this radiator is an internal leakage which ends up in mixing oil and coolant fluid: that can be usually diagnosed by inspecting the coolant tank in search for oil presence: NOT MY CASEw, so it's not this type of problem, I think.

After some arm exercise contorsions with my right hand I made it to 'touch' the part where the oil presumably leaks out from: it is somewhere underneath the oil filter cap container: open the bonnet, go down with your hand end then up, left. better the engine be cooled down becuase you're touching the exhausts too.
ai
Could it be some kind of gasket in that oil filter assembly that has started to leak? had a oill and filter replacement done at a fuel station last August: no problem showed up at all (drove around 2500miles since then) until 3 weeks ago.

Has anyone heard of similar problems to this type of engine (I think it goes also on ASTRA H)? any chance to exclude problems to the (expensive ouch!) radiator for oil-coolant exchanger?

thanks in advance for your reading
Ciao from Italy
Mo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@BigDov: I see no leakage signs by touching around the oil filter plastic cap area. I will cross check tightening with a proper wrench.

I will post more info as soon as I am able to access the area again.

Meanwhile I can add that the leakage consists of around 1 small oil drop per week (been monitoring it with a paper sheet put underneath the engine whilst the car is in the box). Car performs OK, only prob when air heating is on and car stops at the traffic light, some burnt oil smell comes inside the cabin (if I switch on recirculation it stays outside, then when starting to move I swithc recirc off again for fresh air to come in -no smell then-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts