Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few months trouble free motoring with my Zaffy, it has reverted to type and has now started playing up again.

For the past few mornings, on initial start up it has been turning over and starting ok but then it runs like a bag of spanners, chugging and sounding as if it is for dying.

After about 10-15 seconds it then runs fine, and there are no engine lights on.

Every time it is started then for the rest of the day it goes with no problems at all, which is leaving me stumped - why only problems on initial start up and not on every other start?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after posting above, the problem has just disappeared - even this morning when its quite a bit colder it has turned over fine with no chugging at all.

Puzzled!!

·
40,693 Posts
Apologies, I thought I'd replied. It was his camshaft sensor which was faulty and depending on what position it was in depended if it struggled to start. It's behind the plastic cover where the timing belts are (I think) and it was £300 for the dealer to replace it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've booked it in with Vauxhall for the 2nd recall work to be done next Wednesday, would I be wise to mention it to them, or would that be an expensive mistake?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well had the 2nd recall work done today - Dealer helpfully did a vehicle health check and it turns out I'm driving a zafira that requires £2,266.40 worth of work done!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
EEEK!!! What's the list of faults then?
Exhaust middle pipe blow out and back box corroded - £ 1, 224.40
osf front track rod end play needs replaced - £ 160.43
osf tyre excess wear inner edge ( no wire yet) - £93.94
2 front anti roll bar bushen (sic) boots split - £ 94
nsr axle bushen (sic) worn - £ 147.59
rear brake backing plates missing - £137.46
number plates illegal - £15.00
unable to read date on tyre repair kit - £ 65.40
osf sidelight bulb not working - £ 0.72

i think that's everything.......

Oh and cam belt & drive belt need checked for replacement - £ 373.59

·
40,693 Posts
Exhaust middle pipe blow out and back box corroded - £ 1, 224.40 - Take it to a decent exhaust place and have the DPF taken out, have it mapped out and new exhaust (£500 tops)
osf front track rod end play needs replaced - £ 160.43 - £40 DIY
osf tyre excess wear inner edge ( no wire yet) - £93.94 - cheaper tyres
2 front anti roll bar bushen (sic) boots split - £ 94 - Seems expensive
nsr axle bushen (sic) worn - £ 147.59 - This is doable at home
rear brake backing plates missing - £137.46 - Both mine are too, they are £5 each but are a pain to change if they need doing. Don't think it's a test fail
number plates illegal - £15.00
unable to read date on tyre repair kit - £ 65.40 - Big deal
osf sidelight bulb not working - £ 0.72

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
2 front anti roll bar bushen (sic) boots split - £ 94 - Seems expensive - by that I think the mean drop links as the actual ARB bushes don;t have bushes and are pretty much hidden away behind the steering rack so can't really be visually inspected

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds just like the anti roll bar bushes. Make sure you get Zafira ones if you do it yourself. Most parts are same as Astra but the roll bar on the Zafira is 2mm thicker.
Thanks Mixman

2 front anti roll bar bushen (sic) boots split - £ 94 - Seems expensive - by that I think the mean drop links as the actual ARB bushes don;t have bushes and are pretty much hidden away behind the steering rack so can't really be visually inspected
Will check the droplinks tonight then to see if indeed the boots are split on them

·
40,693 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts