Astra Owners Network banner

Z20LET F23 gearbox oil capacity

9K views 20 replies 2 participants last post by  barneyrussel 
#1 ·
Just checking what i need, is it two litres of 75w90?
Thanks.

#3 ·
I know its on the 220 but interesting read never the less

#8 ·
I see, i will be keeping my Coupe but i did think about a VXR etc when i had the money for a nice one a few years back but the M32 "chocolate box" and its 1k fixing price put me off, the F23 is apparently quite strong and if they had those fitted that might have tempted me, i'm not keen on a 6 speed either,
Courtenay sport recommend Millers CRX NT+ 75w-90 so i might go for that at £37 for 2 litres, i'm tempted to use the whole 2 litres instead of the advised 1.75 litres, i also read the breather mod helps stop the box leaking oil, i shall have to think on it,
I was on my way to around 290 bhp but had to remove the exhaust, front mount etc but went for a Courtenays fast road clutch kit "C20LET with Z20LET slave" which is meant to be good for around 300 bhp and is all genuine VX.

#9 ·
Yeah i have heard about the c20 clutch upgrade.them clutchs are stong forsure. Im lookin at saab viggen ? what ever its called as they also have over engineered clutches and im sure the plate is the same, just need to match my spare clutch and see if they line up okay. I just used oil from my local factors ? comma maybe same grade though... I think ill gonfor drilling out the filler bolt and welding a pioe on with a mini breather filter on it. I get what the guybis sayin about the box not being smooth though and maybe try adding 200 ml extra ?

#10 · (Edited)
Its been in around seven years with no issues, apart from not being bled properly, although i haven't done that many miles or pushed it hard, i expect someone out there must have used a Saab clutch if its a good upgrade and might possibly be cheaper, i've just had fitted some Saab fitment (same part number for the Astra) Pagid front discs and pads and saved around £40 over Astra ones via ebay Eurocarparts which was nice,
The gearbox has always been a little stiff even when a few years old according to my brother, i had the gear stick rebushed, new cables and a quick shift kit fitted last year (Nevlock Performance Ebay around £50 for genuine cables, Vauxhall £180!!) and it has improved it a lot but Courtenay reckon the Millers stuff is slippery smooth so i might give it a go, i wouldn't mind trying the two litres but can't weld and the breather kit seems to be around £50 iirc although the kit is meant to be for over two litres isn't it.

#11 ·
Yeah well cheap haha. Viggan clutch is like 160 quid but my mate has a cavvie with a b204 slapped in it and he has 3 or 4 spare clutches to choose from ? yes i hear good things about millers products ?
I am lookin at a quick shift at some point (i want no lift shift mapped in if im doin that though ?

You could take the filler bolt out and take it to a garage and ask them to drill out the bolt and weld a pipe on,.. Im goin to give it a go

#12 ·
Around the same as an LUK C20 then, mine was dearer as i bought it direct from Courtenays as their "fast road clutch" but afterwards found out what it was,

I bought a cheap RND quick shift but then went for a dearer one which has a shorter shift and also raises the gear stick a bit, i wasn't sure about it but once fitted i'm glad i went for that one, its only four spacers and a machined part that attaches to the bottom of the gear stick so nothing to technical or expensive, your welcome to try the RND one i have spare, they're only £15 plus post so a small donation to cover post etc would be fine,

Yes the mechanic that is hopefully doing all the work for me can weld so i might think about it, if i knew i could get away with the two litres long term without any mods or causing any damage i would do that, but if this Millers is as good as they say then the 1.75 litres might be fine anyway.

#19 ·
Yes this one except i bought mine from ebay and they don't seem to be selling them at the moment, i can't verify the reliability of this seller but expect they are fine, this one is apparently the shortest shift on the market, if not enough it can still be used in conjunction with one fitted to the gearbox itself.

#21 ·
No worries, if you were nearer i'd let you try mine to see what you thought but i'm very happy with it and its been fitted for maybe eight months with no issues so far and i also like the fact the gear knob sits higher too,
There is also this type but you'd need to buy a threaded gear knob as well,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.