Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to this, I've just bought an Astra H Vxr as a donor car with the intentions of putting the engine and gearbox into my project classic car. The project car is an 80s hot hatch with a lousy engine and the bare basic electrics. I got the Astra quite cheap and want to swap the engine and gearbox across (and the relevant wiring and modules and so on). I intend to pass the majority of he wiring loom across to run the engine and the speedo. Do I need to swap the hubs for the wheel speed sensors? Do I need the rear fuse box swapped too? Can I get it all programmed out so that the Ecu can soley run the engine? I hope someone that's clued up on the matter can assist me with this.

Don't tell me it's not worth it or I should just do something else. I'm trying to do somethat that not many people or no one has done. Trying to be different and challenge myself.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I swapped my astra h 1.4 to a vxr.

I had to move over all the looms, front and rear fuse boxes. Otherwise the failed to communicate and wouldn't run. The astra runs a canbus network so there are bits it will need across the body loom.

Also the vxr has the Z20LEH engine the Z20LET was the GSI engine. The Z20LEH has forged pistons as wellnas under piston oil jets and no balance shaft.

VXR also has a retuen style fuel system to be aware of.

I would grab all the looms from the body and engine, be best to have access to opcom to program bits out.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi all, new to this, I've just bought an Astra H Vxr as a donor car with the intentions of putting the engine and gearbox into my project classic car. The project car is an 80s hot hatch with a lousy engine and the bare basic electrics. I got the Astra quite cheap and want to swap the engine and gearbox across (and the relevant wiring and modules and so on). I intend to pass the majority of he wiring loom across to run the engine and the speedo. Do I need to swap the hubs for the wheel speed sensors? Do I need the rear fuse box swapped too? Can I get it all programmed out so that the Ecu can soley run the engine? I hope someone that's clued up on the matter can assist me with this.

Don't tell me it's not worth it or I should just do something else. I'm trying to do somethat that not many people or no one has done. Trying to be different and challenge myself.
What is the car you are aiming to fit it into? Your choices are really either try to install the VXR running gear with all the sensors and original ECU intact (modify loom to suit), or just use stand alone management, which is often a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
I'd assume you're going standalone if its something from the 80's as the vxr lump uses canbus as the others have said. I'm pretty sure you can't get the engine ecu to run on it's own it required the clocks, both fuse boxes, abs pump as a kit you can't even map them out. Going standalone would be a lot simpler as you could use an electromagnetic pickup on the hub for your speedo (or gearbox output shaft or prop if rwd). Feel free to message me as have done a lot of research into it also as I'm putting a vxr lump into a seven roadster (slowly anyway). Also if any of the ecu kit is missing or abs sensor unplugged it simply won't start. Canbus is a pain. Most known vxr racecars use standalone so they can delete all the wiring loom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a Mk2 Ford Fiesta 1984, the body is mint but the engine is the standard 1.1... I wanted to keep it original but after finding that the engine is from a 1986 vehicle, it wasn’t an all original set up in the first place! Where can I get a stand-alone Ecu? What are the prices like? And are they as simple as they sound? From what I’ve been told, swapping everything over and getting it to work is going to be more pain than anything...

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Dastek and emerald are two brands that spring to mind. They're around £800 new but can be had for £250ish second hand. Never used one yet haven't got that far. The hardest part is tricking the canbus system into thinking everything is still there.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It’s a Mk2 Ford Fiesta 1984, the body is mint but the engine is the standard 1.1... I wanted to keep it original but after finding that the engine is from a 1986 vehicle, it wasn’t an all original set up in the first place! Where can I get a stand-alone Ecu? What are the prices like? And are they as simple as they sound? From what I’ve been told, swapping everything over and getting it to work is going to be more pain than anything...

You can still do quite a bit with a 1.6 T CVH engine, plenty out there with 240+ HP, but 200 HP is quite achievable and fairly reliable. If you could find a decent one it would a lot easier to fit and also much more in keeping with the car.

Apart from the 'packaging' issues, I wouldn't think the weight of the Z20LEH engine, gearbox and drive train would really suit a super lightweight Mk2 Fiesta very well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just curious, could you not normally aspirate the Z20LEH (Remove all Electronics), has that been done?

But I'd go down the CVH route if it was me as Ayresyy mentions above.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
A lot more work as you've have to plug holes in the block etc to make it N/A. The older version of that engine is the X20XEV which is essentially the same minus the turbo. Zetec or duratec engines have been done before many times though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts