Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right guys, ive just changed over the header tank with a new level sensor and ive started it up and noticed the engine fans coming on so i checked with opcom and at as little as 65 degrees there coming on frequently? also ive noticed that the water pipe from the turbo is bone dry inside, nothing is coming through even when reved.

i left the cap off the tank to check for air locks as well

any ideas? im worried the turbo isnt getting any coolant!

just to add it does have an error code for fan relay 2 but that was there before hand

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I'd personally remove the thermostat housing and check in there.
If the coolant hasn't been changed regularly it can gum up and cause the smaller passageways to become restricted.
Also, I'd stick a little funnel in the turbo coolant line and fill it up with water / coolant. You may have a leak which is higher up in the system, say top of radiator or one of the pipes at the top of the engine.

It shouldn't be to difficult to sort, but I'd be reluctant to use it until sorted, especially with the turbo lines being dry.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply ant, i went and put water in the turbo lines and incould see the level going up in the header tank so its definitely not blocked. took it for a run and checked and its coming through both lines now.

any ideas on the fans coming on at such a low temperature?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
No problem pal :)
Good to know it's back up to the right level. Just keep an eye on it over the next couple of days, as it could loose water and only leak under pressure.

With the fans coming on, I'm not too sure but it may have something to do with low coolant as heat is being built up faster and possibly fooling the temp sensor. Not sure on this, but it seems logical.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
@Matt_GSi

Is your car the mk4 GSI (z20let engine) or as you mentioned z20lel ?

Can you see water circulating in the header tank please ? even without engine running but with ignition on?

Because on the z20let engine there is an auxiliary water pump attached to the front of the standard f23 gearbox, that circulates coolant even when the engine isn't running, as an addition to the normal water pump.

I'm only guessing but this aux pump might not be working, (You can normally hear the small electrical pump whirring, with ign on)

B

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a mk 5 sri turbo with the lel engine. Is got that aux pump on it as ive had the fan loom off before and noticed a little black relay on it and it was confirmed by vauxhall when i asked about it. ill have a look and see later but cant say ive ever seen it flowing unless its running

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Makes you wonder why Vauxhall never fitted these little aux coolant pumps to the VXR if they appear to be fitted to the other 2 litre turbos plus the older mk4.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dunno but this is where the problems start with the p1482 code i have i was going to replace the loom which is now discontinued and it has the relay on to control the aux pump, which ive looked today and thats discontinued as well so basically if they go, your knackard!

pretty stumped on the p1482 issue though it says circuit open so im guessing a break in the loom somewhere as ive already tried another fan relay from a scrappy and had no joy with it

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Makes you wonder why Vauxhall never fitted these little aux coolant pumps to the VXR if they appear to be fitted to the other 2 litre turbos plus the older mk4.
dunno but this is where the problems start with the p1482 code i have i was going to replace the loom which is now discontinued and it has the relay on to control the aux pump, which ive looked today and thats discontinued as well so basically if they go, your knackard!

pretty stumped on the p1482 issue though it says circuit open so im guessing a break in the loom somewhere as ive already tried another fan relay from a scrappy and had no joy with it

Interesting discovery Matt, I will have a dig around . no promises i'm extremely busy

Ant, I retrofitted the aux pump from a z20let to the vxr z20leh as a matter of course.

B

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its already plumbed in brian, i meant the vxr loom doesnt have the aux pump relay on but could that be taken off the lel loom and fitted to the vxr loom?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts