Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been going on for over 12 months now. It started out where the car would just start juddering as you'd be driving along. Coughing and spluttering kind of thing. I'd go to overtake someone and there'd be hesitation as i'd try and boot it while it had a little cough and then it'd go. The car would also struggle to start from cold SOMEtimes. There was no consistency other than it was from a cold engine. Not necessarily outside temp cold but when you'd come to start it first thing in a morning or when going home when you'd been at work all day. It could go weeks without being a problem and then do it a few times a week before then not doing it for weeks again.

You'd turn the key, it'd sound like normal like it was going to start, but it would just refuse to fire up if you get me? It wasn't sluggish and whiney like a dying battery. It sounded normal ... it just wouldn't fire up. You'd try it once, you may even try it twice and then it'd fire up on the 2nd/3rd try.

This then progressed in to some times not starting at all. First time was a few months ago when I was at work and my wife came to go somewhere in it. She tried and tried and tried and tried but it just refused to fire up. I came home that afternoon and first time it fired up. That's not to say i did anything magic - that's just how tempremental it is.

This morning she went to do the weekly shop and this time i actually heard it. She tried it 3-4 times and it was just turning and turning but no firing. She gave up and took my car. At 6:50am she didn't want to sit there irritating the neighbours.

I've changed the battery for one of them 4 year Halfords ones back in about September 2018.
I changed the spark plugs for genuine GM ones earlier this year.
I changed the coil pack for a genuine Delphi one a month ago.

I ran OPCOM today:

The fault shows up as:

ECU ID STARTS
Source Address: UEC
Source Address: 0x00000250
Identifier: 0x0108
VIN:
System name: FZM_LC INTEDIS
Hardware number:13220435
Part Number:13250231
Software version number: FZM_LC 7.00F00
System description: INTED0400
Hardware key number: 49HSG5
Programming Date: FFFFFFFF
Alpha code: JZ
Manufacturing date: 20070110

Number of stored fault codes: 1

B0575 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
(02) - Not present

ECU ID ENDS
Any ideas because if this carries on then the car is getting replaced.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi
These intermittent faults are the worst as they are harder to find.

Have heard of people having problems with the coil pack connector and its cables/contacts. Try wiggling the cables around there the next time it happens. The last person who had this problem reported having no fault codes coming up iirc.
Good luck

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Have had the EGR valve put to me. I wasn't aware this engine had one. Just never thought of it.

How likely do you think that would be the cause of all this?

Throttle body i clean each year, EGR as i say, i didn't know it had one so probably never been touched. It's done about 98k on an 07 plate.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes the xep engine does have an egr valve. The egr valve actuator is commanded by the engine ecu to move to a given position and then the feed back position sensor on the egr valve informs the ecu of the actual position. They should agree roughly with each other and if not a eml light would eventually come on. You say you don't get any dash lights.

Did you try the coil pack connector?

Is the oil cap difficult to get off when the engine is running?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's correct, there's been no dash lights at all. No car with spanner, no exhaust/emissions light.

The car hasn't acted up since so there's not been the opportunity to try the coil pack connector. That's the thing - i could send this in to a garage and they could have it for a week and there may be no issue whatsoever. They charge us for checking it over for 7 days solid and then we take it home ... very next day it could act up.

Can't say i've ever taken the oil cap off when the engine is running. What would that be a test for?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Crank case pressure control valve defect which can cause various issues, you get a lot of suction if it is faulty and the oil filler cap is hard to remove.

Wiggle the coil connector cables whilst it is running ok and it may cause it to run rough if there is a bad /loose connection.

Be sure to avoid moving parts whilst rummaging in the engine bay

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would you know whether to look at the crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor?

I was looking at this video:
Look at about 1:35 in.

I was in touch with AutoVaux who gave me a number and it turns out this is the applicable one to the car: Sensor, crankshaft pulse CALORSTAT by Vernet CS0360 — Buy now!. The prices vary wildly though. That's £12 so neither here nor there for having a go and seeing if it works. Some cost £60+, £100+ though. It's like do you want this tin of Heinz beans from M&S for £100 or do you want the same tin of Heinz beans from Lidl for 50p, or am i missing something?

Finally, with the crankshaft sensor, some i've looked at are like the link i just provided.

Yet some are like this: Crankshaft Pulse Sensor Fits Astra Corsa Insignia Vectra Zafira Meriva 1.6 1.8 | eBay where it's on a wire. Why one over the other?

In the video the guy has it on a wire. The one that seems to be for our car appears to not be wired?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jesus Christ what a PITA.

Tried having a bash tonight. For starters it's the one that isn't connected to a long cable. I don't know if that makes any difference at all but it's at the front of the engine under the oil filter canister. I'm only saying this as i've seen two different sorts.

I tried to undo the connector but no joy. I thought ok i'll remove the sensor and then try the connector as i'll have more room to see and move. Did that but what an absolute PITA. 40 minutes in and i still didn't have the connector disconnected. In the end my neck was so damn sore i had to give up and put it back together.

I suppose it doesn't help that i don't know 100% how it disconnects so i'm guessing. I was pushing and twisting, trying this way and that way. I'm sure one of them must've been the right way but not sure which.

I saw a part that looks like i should de-press. Obviously i tried this. Maybe my grip isn't enough. Maybe there's too much crud. I'll try pliars tomorrow to give a bit more grip, see if that works but this is seriously doing my head in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts