·
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, problem number two of the day...

May dad's Astra G 1.4 16v seems to be over-cooling itself. Symptoms are:
-Temperature hanging around 80-85C instead of the target 90C
-Engine revs will not drop below 1,200 at idle
-Revs up between gear changes
-Generally running just a touch rough - probably because it is compensating for being cold

Now this is exactly what I've experienced before and a change of thermostat sorted it, but I'm wondering if there's more to it because:
-It was only about two years ago I put a genuine GM thermostat in (first one lasted 13 years) so I wouldn't think it's gone already
-I unsuccessfully tried to change the timing belt today so I'm thinking I've buggered something

As part of my failed attempts to change the timing belt, I did drain down the coolant and try to remove the water pump but it wouldn't budge (got a separate thread on that issue) so I ended up putting it back together and filling it back up. Coolant was good as new still.

So any ideas? Or is it just a total coincidence and I need a new thermostat (again)?

·
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only think I've thought of so far is that my attempts at hitting the pump have snapped off a bit of the impeller which is now stuck in the thermostat. But coincidence seems more likely!

Since I'll be draining it down again to re-attempt the water pump I might as well pop the thermostat off and test it. I just need a thermometer to put in my bowl of hot water...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Flush it throw a few times when you sorted the pump issue. Might help move anything stuck . New thermostat will help tho

1 - 4 of 4 Posts