Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on the EGR valve!!!!!

Yes that bloody thing, ok I have read a lot of info in this site in the past and have learnt a lot from you all!!! So thank you for that.

I now have a concern though, my astra is now starting to smoke at start up which it has never done. Also the smoke produced when I put my foot down has got big etc and the fuel excconomy has dropped, so yes I guess it is time to clean that bloody EGR.

I am worried though that I am totaly **** it up!!!!! Let me explain, its on a 57 plate, had 9,500k on there when I bought 14 months ago. Now has 45,500k on there and I have not clean the valve yet (if it aint broke dont fix it!) If i now take the valve off to clean will I then start to cause issues after like with the swirl flapps etc? I have read a few horror stories about those going wrong :'(

I just really don want to do it if I am going to cause myself a big headache!!!! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
I have a question on the EGR valve!!!!!

Yes that bloody thing, ok I have read a lot of info in this site in the past and have learnt a lot from you all!!! So thank you for that.

I now have a concern though, my astra is now starting to smoke at start up which it has never done. Also the smoke produced when I put my foot down has got big etc and the fuel excconomy has dropped, so yes I guess it is time to clean that bloody EGR.

I am worried though that I am totaly **** it up!!!!! Let me explain, its on a 57 plate, had 9,500k on there when I bought 14 months ago. Now has 45,500k on there and I have not clean the valve yet (if it aint broke dont fix it!) If i now take the valve off to clean will I then start to cause issues after like with the swirl flapps etc? I have read a few horror stories about those going wrong :'(

I just really don want to do it if I am going to cause myself a big headache!!!! Any thoughts?
You're best to clean it mate, it will cause issues if it gets clogged up with soot and then recirculates it into the swirl flaps. Best thing to do is first chance you get, take the valve off, take it apart (into 2 pieces) and give it a damn good clean. Then do this every 5k miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. (Y)

Also with regards the extra smoke, with the mornings starting to get colder, the smoke will be more noticable so wouldn't worry too much mate. (Y)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the advice mate!

Will post some pics up after I have done this I am expecting this to be a very messy job now :dontknow:

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
Cheers for the advice mate!

Will post some pics up after I have done this I am expecting this to be a very messy job now :dontknow:
No it shouldn't be too messy mate, just when spraying the brake cleaner into the valve it's best not to be on your drive way as it will stain the floor. I found this out the hard way, and it was my Dad's drive! :lol:

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have another really stupid question about this agian though. Yes me looking at an engine is like others looking at binary code, yes I am a computer geek!

The engine cover does this just simply pull off and then clip back on? The cleaning of the EGR looks easy enough mind so should be ok.

Sorry stupide question I know but I also hate things that are broken so dont want to break the cover!!:headspin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah it just pulls off. youll have to retrive the little rubber thingies from the top of the engine and refit them to the cover though.
Also when you take off the egr make sure you dont drop the gaskets, there will be two, a square 1 and a oval 1. They can be good at hiding if you do drop them lol.

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
As already said, with regards the engine cover, once you've pulled it off, the 4 rubber bungs will be left on the metal pegs on the engine, pull each bung off and insert them back into the underside fo the cover, this will make it loads easier to fit the cover back on.

Could just be mine but the rear right hand corner sometimes doesn't want to go on if left to last, so I now push on this corner first then the others so they all bite. (Y)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I took the advice and got on with cleaning the EGR valve this weekend. After covering 35k in the car in 14 months I was really expeting a mess in there, but I was very supprised!!!! I guess it just goes to show that driving the car hard frequently really does help :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Before pics:

And of course after:

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/SRIXPTurner/PICT0384.jpg[/IMG

The difference that this has made has been unreal!!! There is now no smoke at all out the back of the car and after a heavy thrashing today the responce is untrue!!!! This is deffinatly something that I will be kleeping my eye on in the future :D

This little bit of work that I have done has given me the buzz to keep going, I need new disks & pads on the front, want to get a Green ECO3 and of course lower too. I have read a lot about all of these on here already and have learnt a lot and am looking forward to getting stuck into this, once I have the money :thumbs:

So lets hope it is not too long untill new pics are up of the changes :D

Oh just one quick note, if I was to do all the above well minus the ECO3 how would that effect my warranty? Just parts that are effected IE with new springs just suspension related parts that will be viod? What about the disks and pads though if I replace them my self where do I stand with this as there is no way in hell that I am going to pay the £250 that the stealers have qupted me!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
if you fit springs, it'll affect the warranty on the springs and most likely the shocks if you have trouble with them (they'll argue the spring and shock aren't matched and it's done damage). they could also try to argue that springs affect other suspension and steering parts too - but that's a chance you take. there are plenty of lowered hatches on here and very few have had warranty issues because of it.

discs and pads will be OK if you buy genuine VX parts (use trade club) and fit them yourself I think, not sure about if you fit aftermarket/upgrade jobbies. same applies i guess - warranty on any part of the brakes and possible related items affected

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you fit springs, it'll affect the warranty on the springs and most likely the shocks if you have trouble with them (they'll argue the spring and shock aren't matched and it's done damage). they could also try to argue that springs affect other suspension and steering parts too - but that's a chance you take. there are plenty of lowered hatches on here and very few have had warranty issues because of it.

discs and pads will be OK if you buy genuine VX parts (use trade club) and fit them yourself I think, not sure about if you fit aftermarket/upgrade jobbies. same applies i guess - warranty on any part of the brakes and possible related items affected
Cheers for the info KevC, for now I am just going to put the standard disks and pads on there.

Now trade club, how do I use this? I am a member and have card etc, but never actually used it to be honest never had the need but it is now the time where the wearing parts need to be replaced???

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Look in the trade club section of the forum. Note down the adress of the club that is supplied in there. Pop to your local dealer and tell them you want to open a trade account. Tell them it's for aon, give the adress, they will send of a fax to verify it and in a day or 2 you'll have a trade account (Y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts