Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been reading a lot around the forums lately (particularly this section) and this is my first post! I appreciate there is a lot of very detailed information around here on cleaning/detailing but I must admit I find quite a lot of it a bit overwhelming, especially when there are huge lists of recommended products.

I've just bought my car (2009 Astra H, black) and I'll be honest, it's not exactly a pristine example so I can't see myself pouring over it for hours at a time. I'm just hoping for a nudge in the right direction in terms of the basic products I should be using to clean it every few weeks or so.

FWIW, I have already booked her in for an alloy refurb, as she's suffering from kerb rash all around. The guy also said he'll go over the main bodywork scuffs for me as well. :mrgreen:

Below are a few cleaning kits that caught my eye after just a quick search. I'm interested to see what people's opinions may be on some of these. Are any essential items missing? Does anything immediately jump out as something to be avoided? I understand nothing here will be top of the range products, but I hope I've picked out some middle of the road items, rather than necessarily going for the very cheapest options. I also think it's fair to say that the Amazon reviews are fairly mixed across the board!

Exhibit A
Despite the amount of pinkness, I'm instantly drawn to the numbered bottles if nothing else (yes, that's really the stage I'm at right now!). Perhaps this could be ideal just as a first kit? Obviously I'd need to also get a bucket (or two??). Any other major elements missing here?

Exhibit B
Possibly slightly more grown up... I'm attracted to the interior products in this one, as well as the 'Black Shine Restorer', for obvious reasons.

Exhibit C
More interior products here and comes with a bucket, plus the added bonus of screen wash as this is something I'm yet to buy.

Of course I'm open to any other completely different suggestions. I'm not necessarily going to buy one of these three; they just seem to tick most of the boxes for what (I think!) I'm looking for.

Some honourable mentions... Are any of these types of items also worth bothering with?

Thanks to anyone who read this far. Any advice is dearly appreciated! :)

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
out of those 3, the muc off kit if prob the better of them, not great, but its better.

If your looking else where look for some of the better known brands( for detailing atleast) as most have their own kits like AutoFinesse, Poorboys, Chemical guys, Autobright and even autoglym all do better kits that may cost more but you get better products, ideally there's no one stop shop for detailer brands, I use primarily Chemical guys, Autosmart, poorboys with some dodo juice thrown into the mix plus some other odds and sods.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Exhibit A is the only thing worth considering out of what you've listed. All of the other stuff should go straight to landfill. It's horrific!

I would suggest that you go and take a look at somewhere like Clean Your Car or Juicy Detailing. Buy a decent shampoo from Dodo Juice or Chemical Guys. Get a couple of buckets from B&Q or similar. Get a wash mitt and a towel. You don't have to spend the earth yet. But £30-40 spent right will get you far more quality than those that you've linked too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must admit I'm surprised that the first one has gotten the most approval... That's made me realise I know even less than I thought! Thank you both for the advice though. I have briefly looked at those websites you guys mentioned but my reasoning behind the kits was that I didn't really know where to begin in terms of picking out individual products.

However I will follow MollyGoogle's suggestion and just pick out a DJ/CG shampoo, mitt, towel and pair of buckets if you think this is enough to start with. Cheers!

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
if you go to the sites mentioned they do basic starter kits with some brands thrown in, so will give you a good basis, think Juicy detailing still do a few Dodo juice kits which i'll put my hand up and say its prob the one brand ive found that doesn;t sell a bad or useless product and ain't that expensive.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
As for the carvac, iv yet to see 1 that actually lifts dirt off the carpets that's 12v, I have a dyson v6 animal and even that isn't much cop, industrial vacs are by far the best of u can pick 1 up cheap, still a lot more expensive tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been meaning to come back and thank you guys again but couldn't get signed in on my phone. I thought that may be the case in regards to vacs. Might just stick with the household one as it does the job fine and it's only laziness that had me looking for something smaller/portable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for boring thread! But this is how my shopping cart is looking right now...

Juicy Micro Noodle 2 in 1 Wash Mitt and Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II Shampoo 16oz for the wash.
Monster Microfibre - Purple Monster for drying... Wondering if I'd get away with using the other side of the same towel for polishing/buffing? Or if that's frowned upon, then this is only a few quid: Ultimate Ultra-Plush Buffing Cloth 16" x 16".
Next, got my eye on this bad boy: Menzerna - One-Step Polish 3-in-1. 1000 ml plz. :cool:
Might also grab Autoglym - Interior Shampoo to run over the dash etc.

Brings me to a total of £57.39 - and I'll need to pick up a couple of buckets from Wilkos or similar. Does this look like a slightly better overall direction to be heading? :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Sorry for boring thread! But this is how my shopping cart is looking right now...

Juicy Micro Noodle 2 in 1 Wash Mitt and Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II Shampoo 16oz for the wash.
Monster Microfibre - Purple Monster for drying... Wondering if I'd get away with using the other side of the same towel for polishing/buffing? Or if that's frowned upon, then this is only a few quid: Ultimate Ultra-Plush Buffing Cloth 16" x 16".
Next, got my eye on this bad boy: Menzerna - One-Step Polish 3-in-1. 1000 ml plz. :cool:
Might also grab Autoglym - Interior Shampoo to run over the dash etc.

Brings me to a total of £57.39 - and I'll need to pick up a couple of buckets from Wilkos or similar. Does this look like a slightly better overall direction to be heading? :lol:

First part looks fine
Don't use the other side of your drying towel for buffing either

The polish imo you're wasting your time you're far better going for something that has fillers in to hide the finer marks than try and polish them out by hand it'll take forever to do a full car and you still won't get the results you want
Interior shampoo is overkill too I use a very old bottle of aerospace 303 on mine and works a treat (basically just apc )

You'll want something to protect your hard work too so look at something like sonax brilliant shine detailer it's quick and easy to use and will protect your car too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, quality! Thanks for approving my posts guys! :lol:

Spence, noted your advice on the towel and shine detailer (that Sonax looks pretty sweet).

Unsure on the interior stuff though... Do you mean overkill for the job involved, or the cost? That 303 Aerospace is coming up at like £13 whereas the Autoglym is only £6.45 for roughly the same quantity, and I imagined it to be a fairly simple spray and wipe affair that I believe can be used on virtually everything, including my leather seats.

For the polish, are you talking about things like Menzerna Fast Gloss FG400 and Chemical Guys - Glossworkz Glaze?

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Yea bsd is good and cheap and you'll probably see about a months protection out of it

I used the ag stuff years ago and didn't like it but it's all person preference as I don't like chemical guys stuff either but others love the range from them

Yea they should do it the best known one is autoglym super resin polish

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Haha, quality! Thanks for approving my posts guys! :lol:

Spence, noted your advice on the towel and shine detailer (that Sonax looks pretty sweet).

Unsure on the interior stuff though... Do you mean overkill for the job involved, or the cost? That 303 Aerospace is coming up at like £13 whereas the Autoglym is only £6.45 for roughly the same quantity, and I imagined it to be a fairly simple spray and wipe affair that I believe can be used on virtually everything, including my leather seats.

For the polish, are you talking about things like Menzerna Fast Gloss FG400 and Chemical Guys - Glossworkz Glaze?
Bilt-Hamber is my go to brand for all cleaning products, reasonably priced and they do a great job.

Sonax BSD is fantastic, I use it after every 2nd wash or so to keep the wax topped up. Fusso Soft 99 is my favorite wax/sealant :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Blit hamber stuff is good I don't think I've used a bad product from them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts