Astra Owners Network banner

Winter tyres?.y/n

692 views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  chaz22 
#1 ·
heard lots of folk who splash the cash on winter tyres ,never bothered ,just parked up and walked ,dependant on snow deepness......with front wheel drive and most astra"s been crap in snow ,would you invest or not bother?..

#14 ·
never used snow tyres, doubt i ever will. I have lived up in th'ills most of my life and when it snows it aint a dusting. had snow drifts over 10ft near me!!! Drove in heavy HEAVY snow last winter (about 2ft deep after 1hr) and the car was superb on hills and corners.

Just treat the weather with respect and don't try to plant your right foot at every opportunity (Y)

#16 ·
Ive never bothered wi winter tyres. I have went out and replaced tyres which were wearing down for winter but replaced them like for like. If youve got a good tread depth and take care then normal "summer" tyres will do you just fine. If the snows that deep then wont matter what tyres you have on, itll be a 4x4 youre needing

#18 ·
Winter tyres do work, just ask any Scandinavian member on the forum.

Remember it only takes 2” of snow in the UK to bring the whole country to a standstill. Happens each time it snows, plus there for icy conditions also.

In some country’s there compulsory, but when we get even mild bad weather in the UK we all suffer because we are never ready for it.

If I needed to drive all year round (even with a 4x4) then I would invest in a second set of wheels with winter tyres. They make 100% difference.

#19 ·
i run winter tyres all year round with my works van & there's a big diff in there performance i was skeptical about them until i tried them

i dont run them by choice it's all my company will fit

#21 ·
If you need them (live on a hill that doesn't get cleared, of you MUST be able to get to work) then I would say Yes they are beneficial. Winter tyres have been proven to aid traction in snowy conditions.

personally however I have never felt the need for them, the roads I travel are always cleared enough to use normal road tyres and a bit of common sense.

A couple of years ago I bought some snow socks for that just in case moment but to this day I haven't taken them out of the box

#22 ·
My old H was far and away the worst car I have ever driven in the snow, but I could still get places and despite living somewhere that gets hammered with snow, I still didnt even consider buying snow tyres. I always find the worst problem when bad weather hits is the complete inability of about 90% of drivers to drive on snow and ice. Do people not understand that if they slow down, dont make any sudden driection changes, etc they might get somewhere in one piece?

#28 ·
Well personally guys I wud na do without winter tyres and I get plenty snow up my way. If they mean I can drive out past people who r stuck and carry on t my destination then money well spent. Sum o the places I have managed to get to is surprising but this is my experience so I say yes to winter tyres

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.