Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard lots of folk who splash the cash on winter tyres ,never bothered ,just parked up and walked ,dependant on snow deepness......with front wheel drive and most astra"s been crap in snow ,would you invest or not bother?..

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I know they're supposed to benefit anything up to 8-9 degrees but I don't have that much bother unless there's snow and we definiely dont get enough of that down here to justify spending the extra cash.. so it's a no for me

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they're supposed to benefit anything up to 8-9 degrees but I don't have that much bother unless there's snow and we definiely dont get enough of that down here to justify spending the extra cash.. so it's a no for me
for me ,living on a big hill could be good idea ,but agree with you ,extra not really needed,got to say ,slight incline and car wont shift ,bloody rubbish :shrug:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
for me ,living on a big hill could be good idea ,but agree with you ,extra not really needed,got to say ,slight incline and car wont shift ,bloody rubbish :shrug:
I guess it depends how important it is for you to be able to use your car when (or indeed IF) it snows this winter. Just gotta weigh up those pros and cons!

For me I know that if worse comes to worst I can walk to the train station and catch the train to work

Other than that, not driving would just be a minor inconvience :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really for my benefit ,would be for other half ,i know splash cash on a crappy 4/4 cheap .....ive no trouble getting to work .

·
Registered
675 Posts
never used snow tyres, doubt i ever will. I have lived up in th'ills most of my life and when it snows it aint a dusting. had snow drifts over 10ft near me!!! Drove in heavy HEAVY snow last winter (about 2ft deep after 1hr) and the car was superb on hills and corners.

Just treat the weather with respect and don't try to plant your right foot at every opportunity (Y)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive never bothered wi winter tyres. I have went out and replaced tyres which were wearing down for winter but replaced them like for like. If youve got a good tread depth and take care then normal "summer" tyres will do you just fine. If the snows that deep then wont matter what tyres you have on, itll be a 4x4 youre needing

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Winter tyres do work, just ask any Scandinavian member on the forum.

Remember it only takes 2” of snow in the UK to bring the whole country to a standstill. Happens each time it snows, plus there for icy conditions also.

In some country’s there compulsory, but when we get even mild bad weather in the UK we all suffer because we are never ready for it.

If I needed to drive all year round (even with a 4x4) then I would invest in a second set of wheels with winter tyres. They make 100% difference.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
i run winter tyres all year round with my works van & there's a big diff in there performance i was skeptical about them until i tried them

i dont run them by choice it's all my company will fit

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts