Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is slowly approaching, so time to do the preparation.

I've a set of 5 studs 16" alloys from Omega, I'm sure they'll fit all 5 studs Vx, but what size of the tyres should I look at?

??/???/16

Please give some advise(Y)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thats what I have, still not great in the snow. However my neighbour has a G with 15s and 65 profile tyres and he just drives straight up the street without noticing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, winter tyres have a very diiferent compound which remains flexible at low tempwratures and they also have a specific tread pattern. Size isn't a great issue, although I suspect wide, low pofile, tyres are best replaced with narrower, higher profile items on narrower rims as the contact patch is a different shape. The OP is going to be spot on there. You'll have noticed that rally cars run very different tyre sizes on tarmac and snow rallies.

MM

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, so I'll just buy the 205/55/16 or greater % of the side wall then:)

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
am i missing something, but he has omega wheels, whats to say they are the same as astra 16" wheels? as in, why would they be 205mm wide?

16" alloys on an omega are 225mm depending on what sort of wheel you have

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I have 185/65/15 snow tires. Cost £40 for steelies, £200 for the tires. Compaired to my normal tires (225/40/18) they are amazing. I could forget i am on snow, thats how much of a differance there is

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
another interesting point, you cant put 225/45 17" wheels on an astra unless it has esp, something to do with the type approval and you cant fit winter tyres to the 215/45 17, 225/45 17, 225/40 18 and 235/35 19 wheels

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
another interesting point, you cant put 225/45 17" wheels on an astra unless it has esp, something to do with the type approval and you cant fit winter tyres to the 215/45 17, 225/45 17, 225/40 18 and 235/35 19 wheels
There is a loophole to that, if the car has 18 inch wheels fitted as standard then 17 winter wheels can be fitted or atleast according to the manual.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
There is a loophole to that, if the car has 18 inch wheels fitted as standard then 17 winter wheels can be fitted or atleast according to the manual.

was just about to add that myself :lol:

i wonder how they arrive at these statements

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
Really have no clue, could be something along the lines as you said of esp/esp+ since only the Sri xp or the vxr came with 18s or larger from the factory and will have esp as standard.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
for grip in snow you need a narrow tyre,modern wide tyres are crap in snow as i found out with a vectra i used to own,that had 18" wheels and i got stuck going up a hill yet people with basic cars with narrow wheels went straight up with no issues

·
Registered
32,288 Posts
I don't know much about winter tyres, but as far as I know, it's just the tread and compound rather than the tyre size?

If I'm right on that, then the standard Astra 16" tyre size is 205/55/16.
thats the size i would have said :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
All season tyres are what you want "all season" they offer 35% more grip in snow and really do come in when you need them, had them fitted since last year and no problems in hot weather, we live on a hill and sails past them spinning wheels in the snow.

Got Pirelli four seasons all way round.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, Lars from nothern part of Norway. As you know, we have snow and ice on the roads for 5-6 months here. I have 205/55-16, studded wintertyres on my Astra 150 cdti, and it works amazing. But I would recomend a good brand studdless wintertyre marked with M/S (mud and snow). But be aware the these types of tyres are NOT recomended for all year driving, as they would not work great i hot weather because they have a much softer rubber mix..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Winter tyres are money well spent

Hi

I got another set of structured 16" wheels (same as on my van already) and put a set of Continental WinterContact tyres on them - same size as summer tyres (205 x 55 x 16). They make a massive difference in the winter weather (not just snow but also cold wet weather).

Well worth the money and I just swap them over as the winter starts and back onto the summer wheels/tyres (Falken 452's) as spring starts.

Try your local KwikFit - I got a good deal on the tyres when the same winter tyres were £130 on the web. KwikFit did them for £70 a tyre fitted. I also got another set for my wife's Skoda Octavia VRS and the difference was amazing on that too.

Get your tyres sorted out now so you are ready for the winter. This will be our 3rd winter on the winter tyres and they are money well spent.

There are several videos on the web showing the difference winter tyres make if you want some proof.

Cheers

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts