Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firstly, I had a whistling noise on the car when starting it on mornings and when returning to the car after work. After 20 mins of driving the whistling noise disappears.

Last week I had a new pulley fitted because of a clunk noise when starting the engine, since then the noise as been less noticeable but still enough to annoy me.

Im not sure what the noise could be, it sounds like it could be from the Alternator belt so I am thinking of ordering a new belt.

It seems to only happen when the car as been stood for a few hours (when the engine is cold).

Help/advice appreciated before I rush in and buy a new belt :cool:. The car is a 1.9 CDTI.

Cheers.

·
Registered
675 Posts
sounds like no1 culprit to me as mine has started to do it. having a new belt fitted soon...pennies permitting

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
I am going to hazard a guess and say its just the cold turbo spooling, once the engine/oil warms up it disappears, its one of the characteristics of the 1.9's

·
27,718 Posts
yeah, you hear is especially as the days get colder, only hear it up to around 2k, or if your just sitting at a constant speed doing 20 in 3rd, but once upto operating temp it disappears

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, you hear is especially as the days get colder, only hear it up to around 2k, or if your just sitting at a constant speed doing 20 in 3rd, but once upto operating temp it disappears
Thats same as mine. All the way to the motorway in 30s, 40,s and 50s I can hear it but soon as I get on the motorway its gone. I cant understand why a new pulley made the sound quieter though thats why I was suggesting the belt.

·
27,718 Posts
Thats same as mine. All the way to the motorway in 30s, 40,s and 50s I can hear it but soon as I get on the motorway its gone. I cant understand why a new pulley made the sound quieter though thats why I was suggesting the belt.
could just be the placebo effect, you think the pulley made it quieter but its just as loud as its always been.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could just be the placebo effect, you think the pulley made it quieter but its just as loud as its always been.

Im not sure, it seems to be loud and people at work have said whats the noise so it is noticeable much more outside the car. I have taken a sound clip of of it Im just figuring how to upload it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
After a few minutes of messing around I have found a way that I can upload the sound its making.

<embed src='http://img507.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Pvfpikwpmjaiehnxoredkkx' width='640' height='380' allowFullScreen='true' wmode='transparent' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'/><br>Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>

You can only just hear it on the video but its much louder in person.

·
27,718 Posts
i really don't know, i can hear a slight whistle but doesn't sound like a pulley to me, sounds more like an air leak somewhere.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure as it disappears after been running for a while. I have a feeling it could be the belt. Are the belts easy to fit?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I might have to take it back to the dealers again, probabky cost me more £££ but its really annoying the noise. It seems to be worse when the engine is colder (only happens when engine is cold).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its still under warranty from the dealers that I bought it from so I phoned up today and they are going to ring me when to get it booked in. Hopefully, this issue will be solved as my warranty runs out next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts