Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
i posted on here a couple of weeks ago regarding a whining noise i was gettin in my astra cdti 150.
i have had the gearbox refurbished at a cost of £650, so all bearings and seals and i am still getting the whining noise. It only occurs when i am going above 40mph and it is driving me mad. I have checked for play in the wheels and there is none:/ i take it the diff bearings would have been changed with the gearbox refurb? So that only leaves wheel bearing or cv joints? Am i right in thinking this?
Hope someone can help!!
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Checked your diff?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Not a clue actually haha!

I know someone took theirs out and it was fairly bad. (they made a thread on it with pictures)

They thought it was their gearbox but noticed metal filings when giving the diff an oil change or something!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Tyres!!

I had some before that drove me mad with the naff tread pattern whining!!!

Mind you, if it's a bad refurb job........

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Tyres!!

I had some before that drove me mad with the naff tread pattern whining!!!

Mind you, if it's a bad refurb job........
Did you go into Halfords yesterday?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Mines been rebuilt 3 months ago and is now clunking when coming off the clutch. Vauxhall think it's the diff, so it's going in next week to have the gearbox removed and stripped. I hate the M32 gearbox...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just took it into the garage and they said its most likely a wheel bearing on its way out. Or there is a chance it could be the driveshaft but unlikely as it has only covered 50k. The mechanic also said it is likely it could be tyre noise as i have just had a cheap front pair wacked on. VX were convinced its not coming from the gearbox though.
how do you check if the diff is on its way out? as the gearbox refurb replaces all of the diff bearings which is the only part that can go on a diff am i right?.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
No mate I was at work!!

I did pop in last Friday for some comma diesel stuff!!

Why wassup?

Which one do you work at like?
Coulby! I swear I was having a conversation with you about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts