Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Today just lost all turbo power and got an ECN 024304 message which from reading the forum here is a problem to do with the boost pressure valve. One suggestion was to take the boost pressure sensor off and give it a clean as that could be the cause of the problem.
So I got the engine cover off to find that a pipe has been leaking oil at both ends. From the following picture can someone tell me what this pipe is for? I've ringed in red the places where you can see it's leaking (click to enlarge the photo):

astra oil leak.jpg

Also could this be the cause of the ECN 024304 message?

There's no oil puddles under the car so it's not a major leak.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's reassuring, I've just got the turbo to worry about now then ;)!

Thanks for your help and prompt reply BigDov

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mixman - I didn't get time before the sun went down and I don't like working in torch light (I haven't got a garage to put the car in!).
I'll wait until Friday afternoon and have a go then. I've got a T30 screwdriver ready and some carburetor cleaner spray.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the sensor off today and it was filthy (click picture to enlarge):
sensor.jpg

I cleaned it the best I could without touching the sensor element itself so now looks a lot better, although not perfect. I put it back in the engine and started it up, it doesn't appear to have helped at all. Still got no turbo power and still got the ECN 024304 message.
If the blocked sensor was the cause of the problem and I've now fixed it, should the car magically start working again on it's own or is there some kind of fault code reset which needs to be done?
Also, have I cleaned the correct sensor? The one in the picture is the 'boost' sensor right?

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
Yeah that's the map sensor.

The car may still think it's got an issue so will still be in limp home mode, do you have access to a code reader to delete/ clear the codes?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BigDov, I don't have a code reader unfortunately. It that the only way to clear the error code?

·
27,714 Posts
You can try disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes to see if that will clear it but that sometimes ain't tye case, it will however clear itself after 50 or so starts with no fault recorded if you don't have a code reader

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Dams thats well dirty.

What did you use on the MAP sensor to clean it with?

Not sure whats the best item/spray to use for MAP sensor? Carb cleaner/egr cleaner or the CRC electrical sensor/contact spray?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used carb cleaner and WD40 but didn't touch the element inside the plastic housing as I was worried I'd break it, hence it wasn't completely clean when I'd finished. I don't know what the element is actually comprised of or how it works, it looked like a thermistor bead but that'd be for measuring temperature not pressure.

·
27,714 Posts
I used carb cleaner and WD40 but didn't touch the element inside the plastic housing as I was worried I'd break it, hence it wasn't completely clean when I'd finished. I don't know what the element is actually comprised of or how it works, it looked like a thermistor bead but that'd be for measuring temperature not pressure.
It also acts as an air intake temperature as well ((Y) so you are technically right in that regard, but it's primary function as far as the ecu is concerned is for boost pressure

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My cleaning of the MAP sensor didn't help. The car had it's MOT today and the garage have given the sensor a further clean and told me to drive it for a few more days to see if it has helped. The pressure hoses have been checked and they're fine. They said if it's not the MAP sensor causing the fault it could be the boost pressure valve A/Solenoid.

The MAP sensors can be bought on ebay for under £20 so tempted to just buy another. I'm surprised the garage didn't suggest that.

Does anyone know how much I'd be expecting to pay for a replacement boost pressure valve solenoid + fitting at a non-dealership garage? Or is it a potential DIY job?

·
27,714 Posts
New pierburg solinoid is about 45 quid, a Bosch sensor is about 40 quid( may have an old one in the tool kit which I swapped out trying to fix an issue with the 2.4 which turned out to be the boost solenoid)

·
27,714 Posts
Yeah can do, may need to compare part numbers as it is off a 2.4 jtd mjet, but sure they all use the same sensors.

Make me an offer, it's a genuine Bosch unit, just sat in the tool box ((Y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts