Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Ive owned two Astra H's now, and its always bugged me that they are not equipped as standard with a temperature gauge. It seems more important to me then the rev counter as an overheating engine on a motorway journey is a recipe for disaster.

I cooked the engine on the M5 a few weeks ago and nothing came up on the dash until the coolant pipe melted through and the coolant level warning came up. This became very costly for something that should be already displayed at hand...

Now I know that you can access the oil temperature on the screen by entering the hidden menu and cycling through until the right data sheet is shown. On the road however this seems too distracting and I dont view it as a viable way of reading the temperature.

There seems to be at least four other alternatives....

1. The Happylightshow module allows you to put the temperature into the small odometer screen between the dials

2. It seems possible to connect a bluetooth OBD2 to a phone / Tablet and see live dials on the screen

3. I hear talk of a confort unit which Woody distributes which could possibly do this task

4. I could fit my own dial to the dash taking a feed from an engine sensor

My current setup in my car has my nexus 5 in a custom cradle OVER THE TOP of my BID screen which connects bluetooth to my pioneer HU.

But I am open to suggestions. How have you guys done it?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
There is no real need for a temp guage. There is a warning light that will come on if the engine does overheat. However if that light comes on there must be a failure of a few different components one being the water pump.

If your engine has coolant in it. And has been serviced at the correct intervals then your engine will not overheat. As the radiator and cooling system are very good on the astras.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
When I need to keep an eye on it is use the test menu. It's not inconvenient to access on the CID. Though if I had a tuned Vixxer or something of that ilk I'd use the comfort unit.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
When I need to keep an eye on it is use the test menu. It's not inconvenient to access on the CID. Though if I had a tuned Vixxer or something of that ilk I'd use the comfort unit.
If you'd had a vxr you'd probably do a 3 gauge conversion where the centre vents are with boost, water temp and oil pressure/ temp or battery voltage which is on my to do list.

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
If you'd had a vxr you'd probably do a 3 gauge conversion where the centre vents are with boost, water temp and oil pressure/ temp or battery voltage which is on my to do list.
No I wouldn't as I think they look absolutely vile! :eek:

·
Registered
939 Posts
My brother cooked his 1.7 CDTI and no warning light came up. A pipe had come away and it dumped all it's coolent out on the motorway.

We were told that in order for the light to work the temp sensor has to actually be in coolent, so when the coolent was dumped, the sensor wasn't able to read any temps. It would be better to have the warning light relate to the water temp and oil temp.

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
My brother cooked his 1.7 CDTI and no warning light came up. A pipe had come away and it dumped all it's coolent out on the motorway.

We were told that in order for the light to work the temp sensor has to actually be in coolent, so when the coolent was dumped, the sensor wasn't able to read any temps. It would be better to have the warning light relate to the water temp and oil temp.
But surely the coolant level warning told him he had no coolant?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I agree 100% with needing a gauge after cooking my engine witch has no coolant level warning either, personaly i would just fit a gauge,

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same thing happened to me. No warning light on dash or screen, until the car realised the coolant level had dropped so I got a warning about that. I pulled to the hard shoulder and my car was revving itself, spluttering, knocking noises. It was a mess

700 pounds later I have a new radiator, new water pump, new heater matrix, new coolant pipes, new head gasket new coolant sensor (melted) new coil pack, full reskim and two new piston rings

Hence my post.

Anyone use the Torque app on their phone to see this kind of data?

·
27,718 Posts
I use it, works great for all different readings depending on what engine is in your car and the sensors that are compatible and sending data via the obd interface

·
27,718 Posts
I think mine only has it either because it's an early model so had every small item added, even got ambient door lighting, because I have climate control or as part of the factory afls, but many vxrs I've seen don't have full check control as std

·
27,718 Posts
Use an elm327 Bluetooth one I got from eBay, cost me 13 quid, don't leave it in as the adapter it quite bulky but there are now low profile adapters available

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
I think mine only has it either because it's an early model so had every small item added, even got ambient door lighting, because I have climate control or as part of the factory afls, but many vxrs I've seen don't have full check control as std
Tbh it amazes me that they had the audacity to sell the VXR with a CD30, BID and manual air con, etc. :lol:

Anyway if I was to add a gauge I'd add it digitally as I think they look awful aftermarket. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Use an elm327 Bluetooth one I got from eBay, cost me 13 quid, don't leave it in as the adapter it quite bulky but there are now low profile adapters available
You can un clip the obd port and lie it down so you can put the trim back on :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts