Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it only ever did it once before a few weeks ago since then it has never kicked in.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Turn your heaters on full and see if it cuts in. Aslong as the engine temp doesnt go much higher than 100 you'll be ok for now

Take your fan off if you can, if not, connect it to a direct power, ie a wee 12v smoke alarm battery and see if it spins, if not you know its goosed

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
putting the heaters on full will reduce the temperature of the coolant, reducing the demand for the radiator fan, its a good way to keep going when your car starts to overheat

·
Registered
675 Posts
putting the heaters on full will reduce the temperature of the coolant, reducing the demand for the radiator fan, its a good way to keep going when your car starts to overheat
i did that last year in 27C heat, was sweating like Gary Glitter in a court room!

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Full heat and open the windows and all that lovely heat just bellows out lol. Thats why i got bonnet lifters, paranoid about over heating. Got new water pump, thermo and cooling at 40k lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
It depends on the engine type.
On mine Z16XEP the coolant needs to go up to 112 or 113 for the fan to kick in. Then it drops to 105. It normally runs at 108 C.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
If your derv is reaching 100 degrees regularly then I would look into reason why, my 15 months of owning the 1.9 and the fans have never kicked on, and the engine normally runs at 80 ish, highest I've seen it is 84 with a little enthusiastic driving, but still no fans.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
dont think i have seen mine over 101, but i dont look that often, the 2nd fan comes on if the car is stationery though after a while, you cant hear the 1st stage fan when its running, however.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have never heard the fans on my 1.9 kick in the whole time I've owned it.

I'd quite often hear my other cars kick in.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Never seen the fan kick in on my 1.7 and I was bleeding the cooling system at the time and then decided to see if it would kick in, waited 45 Ish minutes after the blessing was done still no fan and the fuse and relays are fine, ( I know the thermo opens at 93c only ever seen the engine get to that temp once)

·
Registered
27 Posts
and the engine normally runs at 80 ish, highest I've seen it is 84 with a little enthusiastic driving, but still no fans.
I 've changed my thermostat twice because it was stusk open. The first time temperature never reached 70 C and the second time it went up to 90-95 C. You should ask a garage the normal temperatures for your engine type and see if the thermostat works properly.

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
It depends on the engine type.
On mine Z16XEP the coolant needs to go up to 112 or 113 for the fan to kick in. Then it drops to 105. It normally runs at 108 C.
Z16XEP running normally at 108? Really? Mine would run at around 92 when I had it. Very rarely would it hit 100 :sus:

If your derv is reaching 100 degrees regularly then I would look into reason why, my 15 months of owning the 1.9 and the fans have never kicked on, and the engine normally runs at 80 ish, highest I've seen it is 84 with a little enthusiastic driving, but still no fans.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Agree with this. My Z19DTH runs around the 83-84 mark most of the time... with that said though, I have seen mine his 137. It proceeded to then die approximately 30 seconds later :lol: Bloody radiator burst :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was thinking about this tonight. I went out this evening and got back home, 2 hours later I decided to top up my washer fluid and when I opened my bonnet the engine was still warm. I have also never heard my fan. I was concerned at first that the engine was still warm but i suppose a dash light would appear if the engine was overheating or if the fan was broke.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts