Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hear of how it's better to drive in a high gear if the revs allow it to save fuel etc, I change at around 1800 revs from gears 1 through 4 roughly and off the top of my head, I put it into gear 3 at about 22mph and change to gear 4 at about 32mph, if I'm doing 45+ then that's gear 5 for me and gear 6 is 60+, I average anywhere between 47mpg to 54mpg as well per fill up, can I save any more fuel by changing earlier?

And what actually happens when you labor the engine when driving in too high a gear? Good? Bad?

Thanks

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd be interested I this too as I'm also under the impression that the higher the gear, less revs is better for fuel consumption.

·
15,092 Posts
The point of gears is to be able to keep the engine in the power (or torque) band of the engine for the maximum amount of time. If the engine is kept away from this by selecting too high a gear you could end up using more fuel as the electronics pours more fuel in to try and give you the performance your right foot demands.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i see you have the 1.9, i find that it likes running slightly higher in the rev range then i was used to sitting at. cruising with it around 1800rpm seems to get good results for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I´ve been working my mpg with the cruise control on the highway and the better rang is between 1800/2000 for 5th and 2000/2200 for 6th
I have decat and the k&n only no chip at all

·
Registered
236 Posts
I´ve been working my mpg with the cruise control on the highway and the better rang is between 1800/2000 for 5th and 2000/2200 for 6th
I have decat and the k&n only no chip at all
thats your problem right there, cruise control lowers your mpg ;) you will get slightly better mpg using a steady right foot

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I understand with the disadvantage of cruise control in this country especially, is that although its advantage is it overcomes the discreet accelerations made by our foot when we think we are maintaining a constant speed, the disadvantage is our highways are too hilly (up and down).

When I go down hill, I will accelerate to help give more momentum to carry me up hill at the other end, as I'm going up hill, I won't accelerate so much - so if I'm entering the climb at 70, I will ease the acceleration pedal as the car will naturally decelerate until the end of the climb, this means that I could exit a typical hill on a highway at around 40-50mph however I would have to accelerate again... but I find doing things like this helps me get my 50+ mpg

·
Registered
241 Posts
I always hear of how it's better to drive in a high gear if the revs allow it to save fuel etc, I change at around 1800 revs from gears 1 through 4 roughly and off the top of my head, I put it into gear 3 at about 22mph and change to gear 4 at about 32mph, if I'm doing 45+ then that's gear 5 for me and gear 6 is 60+, I average anywhere between 47mpg to 54mpg as well per fill up, can I save any more fuel by changing earlier?

And what actually happens when you labor the engine when driving in too high a gear? Good? Bad?

Thanks
Labouring the engine or driving with the revs too low in a modern diesel will quickly destroy the DMF as you're forcing it to work at full chat all the time - especially if you like to plant your foot to get it to move in the gear it's in rather than changing down 1 or 2 gears. If you want your DMF to last you need to keep the rev needle somewhere in the low 2000s which is roughly the point where peak torque is delivered.

There would be no noticeable difference in your fuel consumption as you only need small inputs on the accelerator when you're around peak torque revs instead of much larger inputs when you want the same acceleration from low revs.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
i just drive and hope i can get to a petrol station before my fuel runs out completely :lol:

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
i just drive and hope i can get to a petrol station before my fuel runs out completely :lol:
like me then,

I just made it this morning, left home with 8 miles remaining on the computer and the petrol station 11 miles away

·
15,092 Posts
like me then,

I just made it this morning, left home with 8 miles remaining on the computer and the petrol station 11 miles away
Winner on fuel light lottery then, good man (Y)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Un like me then, a few weeks ago my fuel needle was below empty, light flashing trip comp showed --- for range and kept flashing up refuel now!! Still managed 20 miles to a petrol stn at 70mph!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
seriously dont know how you can be bothered :lol:

i just drive the car, change gear when it needs changing and hope for decent fuel consumption. Id rather walk than have to spend every journey completely dictated by fuel consumption and needing to change gear at certain revs and not press the pedal too much because it uses more fuel. Theres just no pleasure in driving like that.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts

i just drive the car, change gear when it needs changing and hope for decent fuel consumption. Id rather walk than have to spend every journey completely dictated by fuel consumption and needing to change gear at certain revs and not press the pedal too much because it uses more fuel. Theres just no pleasure in driving like that.
+1

·
Registered
14,376 Posts

You have to understand the mindset of the boring diesel drivers ....mpg mpg :couch: :lol:

Petrol ftw powerrr revvvv redline woooo

1 - 20 of 51 Posts