Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently got a P0115 code on my Astra which is a coolant temperature sensor one.

The car had two sensors one at the radiator and one on the thermostat housing.

I decided to change them both as the cost of a sensor is about £8 and wasn't sure how to diagnose them.

It left me wandering though what each sensor is doing? From a google search i found out that sensor 1 is the one on the thermostat housing and sensor 2 is the radiator one.

By disconnecting one at a time i found that only Sensor 1 was linked to the temperature gauge and gave a fault code whilst sensor 2 showed nowhere !!!

Any ideas?

Also there is a difference on temperature reading on my OBD scanner and the temperature gauge in the cabin. Gauge reaches 90 degrees and stays there but OBD can go from 80 to 109 depending the load/speed/fan on etc. Should i be worried about it or its normal?

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hi
All the astra's I have had,petrol that is, including my present Astra k sit at 90degrees c on the temp gauge on the dash, whilst the temp on a diagnostic tool fluctuates. These engines run quite hot to help improve emissions and the engine wax stat is electrically assisted to open faster when needed. Therefore your temp sitting at 90 is fine (actual engine temp will be above 100c from my experiences)
I have heard of the wax stat passing on one occasion and it was detected by the second sensor heating up steadily with the engine temp sensor from a cold start,which it shouldn't do. My guess is it is also a back up sensor in the radiator and may control certain coolong fan speeds.

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is great gents...many thanks for that...it start making more sense now...any ideas of how to check if the radiator sensor is working properly since by disconnecting it does not come as a fault !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts