Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of a new 62 plate GTC 1.6T SRI, having had an Insignia Elite before (a long and depressing story).

The GTC's interior seems way better built than the Insignia and generally very solid and well made.

I'm less happy though, with the finish of the trim. There seems to be a lot of hard plastic around - I think it lowers the quality feel of the car. I also think its a bit bland and was wondering what could be done to improve it (I.e. what an be added from other models, aftermarket etc.)

I'd be interested to read what you think as I tend to be quite critical of my cars!

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
without being a killjoy - your squeaks will shortly begin, especially as it starts to get colder and the cheap hard plastic bits shrink and expand...

just touch/press the top of the clocks for an example..

bit dissapointed with mine at the mo, especially considering what it cost me.!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Didnt realise 62 plates out is it september 1st? Regarding the trim its better than any vx i have had before so its all good in my eyes but most cars i've been including audi's/bmw's dont seem any better.. Not sure what you can do apart from get in the shed and make something up:lol:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Didnt realise 62 plates out is it september 1st? Regarding the trim its better than any vx i have had before so its all good in my eyes but most cars i've been including audi's/bmw's dont seem any better.. Not sure what you can do apart from get in the shed and make something up:lol:
I thought the same, my guess was the middle of September. Mind you I did see a 62 plate Honda earlier.

You could always wrap it? Unless its the black trim already.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of a new 62 plate GTC 1.6T SRI, having had an Insignia Elite before (a long and depressing story).

The GTC's interior seems way better built than the Insignia and generally very solid and well made.

I'm less happy though, with the finish of the trim. There seems to be a lot of hard plastic around - I think it lowers the quality feel of the car. I also think its a bit bland and was wondering what could be done to improve it (I.e. what an be added from other models, aftermarket etc.)

I'd be interested to read what you think as I tend to be quite critical of my cars!

Cheers. :)
Happy New Car, Hackej. Understand where you're coming from as just got my Astra J hatch elite in early August '12, after 3 years & 60k+ miles, with my Insignia 2.0CDTi exclusiv. So not as plush as your old siggy elite, but lets face the Astra J/GTC trim aint ever gonna be a patch on the Flagship model in the range. Yes the sig cockpit has soft touch materials everywhere, with harder plastics well hidden lower down. Your jump from Sig to GTC will be more apparent, due to Elite toys, leathers Afls, lighter interior. But the Astra is a mid-market car, it does have some soft touch plastics, but not where you'd expect it, and more harder plastics than legoland :lol: I'm just under 4 weeks with my J 2.0cdti hatch, elite, so interior leather and few other toys keeping my interest (afls,flexride). The up side is the drive, I can tell i'm not hustling a big car into corners, it goes in much neater, but I miss the cavernous/carnivorous boot and road presence of the Siggy a little bit.

Think the GTC covers both those areas better than the J hatch which is diminutive next to the GTC vital statistics.

So, get driving, and post some interior/exterior/wheel photos mate! And enjoy the drive ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy New Car, Hackej. Understand where you're coming from as just got my Astra J hatch elite in early August '12, after 3 years & 60k+ miles, with my Insignia 2.0CDTi exclusiv. So not as plush as your old siggy elite, but lets face the Astra J/GTC trim aint ever gonna be a patch on the Flagship model in the range. Yes the sig cockpit has soft touch materials everywhere, with harder plastics well hidden lower down. Your jump from Sig to GTC will be more apparent, due to Elite toys, leathers Afls, lighter interior. But the Astra is a mid-market car, it does have some soft touch plastics, but not where you'd expect it, and more harder plastics than legoland :lol: I'm just under 4 weeks with my J 2.0cdti hatch, elite, so interior leather and few other toys keeping my interest (afls,flexride). The up side is the drive, I can tell i'm not hustling a big car into corners, it goes in much neater, but I miss the cavernous/carnivorous boot and road presence of the Siggy a little bit.

Think the GTC covers both those areas better than the J hatch which is diminutive next to the GTC vital statistics.

So, get driving, and post some interior/exterior/wheel photos mate! And enjoy the drive ;)
Yes, the Astra uses soft touch in odd places where most manufacturers would make the whole upper dash and door panels out of soft touch and shove the hard plastics into the lower and rear sections of the cabin, even though they may have as many cheaper materials as the VX. I think the thing that annoys me is the nice bits are REALLY nice which shows up the crappier bits more. That said, it is all very solid and much better made than my Insignia ever was.

The Insignia was a let down for me as it too had far too many crap plastics and everything creaked to the touch, rattled and moved around too much. The latest Ford Mondeo interior really shows it up, despite the fact that the basic design details of the Insignia feel very "premium" and upmarket.

I have just taken the GTC out for an hour's "enthusiastic" drive and I was surprised to find I REALLY enjoyed it. It is a great driver's car and the 1.6T performs very well. World's apart from the Insignia, which felt like a good car buried under a layer of mush.

The GTC was bought with big incentives from Vauxhall due to the appalling reliability and depreciation of my Insignia and was the only way out of that situation. I actually wanted to get away from Vauxhall altogether (after 4 cars) and get a VW Scirocco. So the GTC has been something of a compromise to me. That said, it is starting to impress me after one full day with it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
funnily enough, i seen two of these today, and being the first time i actually noticed them, i thought they was quite nice.
There was the GTC SRi i saw that didnt have a visual exhaust and looked kinda daft but then further up the road, i seen one with a visable exhaust and it looked alot more complete.
Think it has a very sleek look, not seen the inside to comment on, but overall i think it looks nicer then the elite.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ive seen three already today!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Went from a siggy se to the gtc Sri and think the gtc is nicer .... The siggy had the walnut ( auld man) trim lol where as the gtc has the mixture of aluminium and piano black trim ... Never paid much attention to the quality of the trim ... Felt both cars are nicer than any merc/BMW/ Audi :) .... Bigal

·
Registered
148 Posts
anyone got some recommendation on trim/plastic maintenance product that can keep it looking shine and clean?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts