Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above really, I've got a 1.7CDTi and Since my last full up, my fuel consumption has been awful.

My trip used to read around 57mpg and would normally get around 450 to 500 miles out of £60 of fuel.

Since I last filled up, I reset my trip computer on everything (like I do after every full up). I'm now struggling to get 45mpg and I'll be lucky to get 350miles out of this tank.

My question is, what could be wrong with my car or what could I check to see why my fuel efficiency is off. My driving style hasn't changed. If anything I'm driving more economical at the moment trying to boost it up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Is it mainly motorway driving you do? When did you last change your filters? Not that it should make THAT much of a difference!

I used to have a 1.7 (80) and my average mpg was about 35 :confused:

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
How long since your last service? How many miles have you got on the clock? Have you been doing different journeys? Was the fuel from your usal service station? Is the car free from faults? Any other symptoms?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car was services April do not long ago, my car had a new alternator but it's working fine now. Well, apart from the consumption.

Now that you mention it, I did change were I bought my fuel from. I usually just get my petrol from my local asda station. But filler up at a Shell garage. Would have thought I'd got more fuel from it, as is the 'fuel save' stuff.

Not checked my tyre pressures for a couple of weeks so I'll check that.

My journeys are about 70/30 motorway to urban driving. Usually cruise at 70.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also mileage is about 90k.

Will have a check for any new fault codes later. Last time I checked there was three fault codes but I think they were from when the alternator was changed and the codes weren't reset

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha I'm thinking that could be very possible. Losing 100 miles on a tank is massive! Lol.

EGR was cleaned about 4 months ago, looking at getting it blocked off soon but I've no loss in power and haven't got any more smoke than usual. Gonna check tyre pressures tonight, will order a blanking plate and see if that helps. May buy some diesel additive. For the money, it might help.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you get a diesel treatment get the millers diesel treatment in my eyes its the dogs nuts and really reduces the engine noise cause alot of 1.7s get alot of noisey injectors

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you guys are driving sensibly and only getting 35mpg then I'd say you have a really broke motor. When driving normally, have a little bit of spirited driving I get about 53mpg. If I'm really trying to do an Eco run, can quite easily get up to about 58-60. That's why I don't understand the drop in my mpg. I'm on 46 at the moment and that is shocking for me.

Checked the tyre pressures a minute ago and yet were all about 32 and one was 20. So topped em all up to 35 just to rule out that the tyres are to blame for all this.

I've got two fault codes but forgot to write them down. But I'm 90% sure they went on when the alternator went. I did have a camshaft fault code not long ago too, could that contribute to my low mpg? I don't really know what it does....

·
Registered
52 Posts
My mate has a Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi, his fuel consumption went from 62mpg (motorway) to 42mpg (motorway) when he fueled up with jet diesel, he gets better mpg with shell fuels.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine perked up to 55 on a trip to Sheffield and back but is dropping down now. Currently on 51mpg which is a bit better.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think it's most likely where you got the fuel from, doesn't it take a couple of tanks to get the "cobwebs" out?

Has the time of day you drive changed?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
thing you got to think about is cold weather tire pressure have you changed how you are driving and where your driving to...

for it to drop 15mpg it means a big problem i would say... even if i drive hard one week it drops but only by about 6 or 7 mpg if my tires are low it drops mayb 1 or 2...

wait until you use up all the fuel first and check as sometimes it evens out...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts