Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was in town yesterday and whilst wondering through a shopping centre, I noticed that Vauxhall had a couple of cars parked in there with the usual advertising banners up etc. Currently owning an Astra H 1.7 CDTi Design Estate, I'm a Vauxhall fan in general - I guess after years of ownership with no real cause for complaint, one can kinda see why.

Anyhow, the banners read, "£2,000 scrappage / 0% finance / 0 deposit" at the local dealership. Call me old fashioned, but that's pretty attractive stuff no matter which way you slice it, so intrigued as to whether it actually was that good, on the way home we called into the dealers for a look at the detail. At this point, I must stress that I wasn't particularly interested in a 'new car' as such - nor do we have anything to offer as 'scrap' - I was just curious to see if the details of the deal were in fact as good as the headlines....

We got chatting and focus turned to what we have now and what our requirements are etc and after working up a couple of 'for example' quotes, we started to discuss 'nearly new' cars. Having done the 'brand new car' thing plenty of times now, we were certain that we'd not be going there again, so just made a tentative enquiry as to what sort of numbers we'd be looking at for something used.

Now I'm not a great believer in fate or any weirdy stuff, but sat right there just outside the front door, barely 10 meters away, just happened to be the perfect car for our needs and tastes - a 60 plate Astra Sports Tourer Sri, 1.7 CDTi, in Silver Lake, highly specced with Sat Nav / 19" Alloys / Parking Assist etc. The salesman did some sums and things became a little more attractive...

Short story even shorter, I rang the guy after getting home to arrange a test drive for today, just to see if it really was the step on that I hoped it would be from the model we have now and sure enough, it didn't disappoint. A fine drive indeed - nothing particularly amazing of course, but being an SRi, it's sharper in feel when compared to our present one and plenty quick enough for the day-to-day. I've liked the exterior and interior styling of the new model from the first time I saw it and have remained suitably impressed ever since

Following the hour spent with it, we had a discussion over lunch and decided that seeing as we don't actually mind the car we currently have, I thought I'd just make them an offer and if they go for it then we're on, otherwise, never mind. So we returned and I laid out the deal - after clarifying that any slight dings, scuffs or rattles would be taken care of, naturally. The salesman got out the calculator, went for a chat with 'the boss' and came back to say "Yes, we can do that". In all honesty, I think it was the directness that tipped the scales for me - not simply the fact that he agreed the deal, but more that he didn't try to make a counter-offer and begin the sucking of teeth and whole negotiation tennis match thing - he knew we were interested, we knew what we were prepared to pay, we got it on and within 24 hours of seeing a promotional campaign in a shopping centre, we've bought a 'new' car at half of the £24k price it was 2 years ago

Some piccys - not of the actual one, but it's the same:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Very smart mate. I think you did well for a good deal considering they'd still be wallowing in the new plates just sold or still selling. Possibly this was a p/x fora new 62 plate.:cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good choice matey! (Y)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Congtarts! Post some proper photies when you get you're new toy matey :) and wheel close ups......fuf...fuf...fuf...i.like a nice wheel with some farver beans & a good Chianti!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very smart mate. Possibly this was a p/x fora new 62 plate.:cool:
Thanks mitch :) I can be a fussy bugger, but there's nothing on this car I don't like (yet... ;))

The colour, trim level, extras etc are all what I'd have probably chosen from a blank sheet - might possibly have gone for the 2.0 CDTi if starting from scratch, but as confirmed on the test, the 1.7 is absolutely quick enough for real world use and we're more than happy with the rest of the car and the deal

Possibly this was a p/x fora new 62 plate.:cool:
Yeah, probably so. I gotta say it's actually a really nice feeling to know that someone else has taken the heaviest hit from depreciation - for a change!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
those pics look like theyre from around gwynedd north wales.
thanks for sharing the story
Maybe Bachdan
Looks similar to the scenery around the Elan Valley which we visited with a group of Lotus owners half a dozen years ago

Glad you enjoyed the story - I haven't written an excited write up for a while, so it was about time!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Really nice writeup mate, photos ASAP :)
Thanks Ben :)

Won't get the car for a week or so as they're sorting a couple scratches and two rub marks on the rear bumper first, together with a few kerb marks and a replacing a tyre which had a nick in the sidewall. Can't argue with that... but I think it's gonna be a long week!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing like a big impulse buy :)
Absolutely Tasha! It's the only way... although having said that, I've harboured desires for the new model since it came out, so it wasn't quite spur of the moment. Mind you, if it wasn't for seeing their promo in town (who says advertising doesn't work..? ;)), it might not have happened right now - and I doubt even more that it would have happened had the prefect car for us not just been sitting there like that!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts