Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, ive joined this site today in the hope that someone may know what the weird noise is on my 2010 Astra. ive owned the car a month and as its an automatic (my first one) i have be driving at a steady pace. that is until last week.. was running late, i hit the gas up to 70mph and then this 'pulsing droning' sound appeared and it was actually disturbing the music! i dropped my speed back down to 60mph an it disappeared! i have done this several times since and the same thing happens. took it to Vauxhall today (Tues 13th) and he heard the noise, took the battery cover off and we drove on.. the noise still there. so i have it booked in with them for the whole day on friday for them to use my fuel and see what it is!! im trying to get an answer or give them some ideas before they do this! lol

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
No im sorry that wasnt very helpfull of me at all. Im not sure to be honest im sure someone will be able
To help you, hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's speed related then it must be a resonance. Perhaps the airflow is making an external trim buzz in the wind? :shrug:

Screen top seal, or roof moulding maybe?
that is a possibility i guess. was just trying to get a step ahead before friday! it didn't sound mechanical according to vauxhall man today so im hoping it is the wind getting into somewhere it shouldn't! thanks all for your replies :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi - have the same problem but my wind noise was when driving above 50mph - especially up in the driver and passenger front windows - to the rear to edge. Dealer has said they have changed the seals twice - both windows and doors - tightened doors up - but still there - Vauxhall customer service do not want to know - be warned

·
Administrator
3,914 Posts
My first thought was an unbalanced wheel which would cause vibration at a certain speed... but if the dealer's been in the car already I'm sure they'd have picked up on that straight away if that was the problem.

My next guess would be a loose piece of trim flapping in the wind when you hit the right speed as others have suggested, but finding which bit is loose could be very tricky - you might need someone else driving in front or behind you to see if they can see anything flapping.

What you sometimes get with these kind of issues is that they appear at a certain speed, then when you go above that speed they can disappear again. But since your noise appears at 70mph I can't really suggest you try going faster to see if the noise reduces!!

Anyway, welcome to AON and I hope they find a fix for you. Please do post back here to let us know what they come up with and how it gets sorted in the end!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Weird -- I got a 11 plate Astra J a couple of months ago and I get more or less the same thing. Get to about 70 (any gear) and there is this resonating drone that comes and goes. Doesn't sound like wind noise. Its still present if I declutch and is not related to engine speed so I've assumed it may be tyre/wheel related.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this on mine. It took me ages to find this fault. It was the plastic front wheel arch liners resonating. They come in 2 halfs and I fitted foam between these halfs. If you tap the wheel arch liner in the middle of the wheel arch and it buzzes and rattles then I would think this is your problem.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The noise is the plastic front wheel arch liners vibrating in the wind. I bet if you sit in the car and get a friend to tap the wheel arch liners it will sound exactly the same. Go to Vauxhall and moan or fix it yourself with foam or cable ties.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
thanks everyone! the front wheel arch liners sounds like a good bet? took it to vauxhall on friday last week, they checked the wheel bearings etc said the wheels were fine.
i insisted to the service manager that at 70mph or above i can feel a vibration through the accelerator peddle (as well as the drone)... he insisted its not there! i have even tried to drive through this drone but the noise just gets faster.
anyway he was trying to convince me its the tyres.. and it can also be heard at lower speeds!! (according to him - i can't hear it)... so they changed my front to back and visa versa and he told me to see how i go over the weekend. its still there!! and driving me nuts. not had a chance to ring vauxhall today as busy at work but will suggest arch liners to them! :) he even told me not to drive that fast so i don't hear it!! i said that wouldn't be advisable when im on the motorway and need to keep a decent speed! Grrr.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
i had this noise, or one similar to it, was caused by the front splitter under the bumper seperating at a join in the middle, just needed pushing back into place, usually comes dislodged if you hit a kerb while parking or go over a bad bump
not very good at explaining so i'll take a pic of what it looks like making the noise and how it should look tommorow

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had this noise, or one similar to it, was caused by the front splitter under the bumper seperating at a join in the middle, just needed pushing back into place, usually comes dislodged if you hit a kerb while parking or go over a bad bump
not very good at explaining so i'll take a pic of what it looks like making the noise and how it should look tommorow
Hi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys just joined,I got astra 16 petral Sri 2010 only had it 3 weeks strange vibration coming seems like through air vents soon as I go over 25 mph and up..!! I've been looking up all u guys post!? I so hope it not the engine mount s.plz can someone help,,else looks like gonna have to get money bk!! But me and the wife loves the car🤪😞

1 - 15 of 15 Posts