Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spotted a local driving instructor today then had to look again when i saw the car he was in was a 09 plate corsa vxr, it had all the driving school decals and other bling on......what's going on? i remember many years back learning in a sh*tty nissan micra!

·
Registered
78 Posts
can't be full on vxr god at that age you cant get insured with a liscence let alone with a provisional lol.... if this is the case im gonna lose mine and learn to drive again:):):):):)

·
A.O.N. - Club Member
503 Posts
yeah but you are under the schools insurance when you are on lessons, or has this changed since i took my test?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Its to attract young drivers to learn with that instructor. Very good idea apart from maybe being a little too powerful. haha. Insurance is not a problem for an instructor as they have there own insurance and as its fitted with Duel controls the instructor has control of the car.

·
A.O.N. - Club Member
503 Posts
i defo think it is a good idea to get buisness but defo a bad idea that it will make young lads/lasses think they can drive like colin mccrae cause they passed in a fast car

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
there's a burg running around as a learner car sumwere

·
Registered
282 Posts
Trouble is you dont get to use the power when learning to drive as its mostly around towns. Maybe they should do an after course to do high power training! haha! (After they pass their test of course)

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Its worth the money going on advanced driving courses (Y) I have been on 3 with my work. 1 was at Silverstone National Track where we got to have a blast round in a few XKR's over 2 days(Y) Other 2 times were at Jaguar Headquarters. Well worth the money if you ask me (luckily for me work paid), its amazing how many people actually think they can drive a powerful car properly, until you actually get learnt how to drive one. It opened my eyes.

Def a good way in todays climate to pull customers your way if you have flash car to learn in. theres alot of Micras and Polos up here as learner cars.

James

:)

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
^^^^^^ One of those Polo's you used to see as a learner car was mine Jimbob!! No L's any more!! I started off in a fiesta, then a honda jazz and on to a focus....turbo diesel at that!! :D I overtook a bus in it once!! :dance2:

Jane x

·
Registered
82 Posts
there is a audi s3 learner car round my end but i think its for advanced lessons after you actually pass your test.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Learn in a powerful car so when you get a car, you've learnt how to handle the power. Smart idea if you ask me.

I’m not so sure it’s a smart idea, ok the car looks good and will attract a lot of younger L drivers but it may put off the over 30’s market who don’t wish to learn in what they might see as a ‘boy racers’ car.:)

Putting a learner in a powerful car is also a questionable idea, although it must have a second set of pedals a car with quick acceleration will cut down the reaction time needed for the ADI to spot the danger and slow the car down.:sus:

I’m not suggesting pupils learn in a 1.0 corsa but I do think handling a super quick car is unfair on the pupil who’s own car is more likely to be a 1.0 corsa and may find the extra power difficult to handle:look:

I also wonder how long before the expensive alloys get kerbed although that’s down to as much as how good the instructor is as well as how bad the pupil is.:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
come on people, quick car or not its not asthough hes going to be gunning it at all.

The instructor has a clutch so the second he puts his foot down he can stop the power and then brake.

I know when i learned to drive the second i revved over 4k or so (Petrol car) he was like come on change up racer boy.

Its all about getting people to use you over the competition and to save the instructor the cost of two cars (One for himself, one for his work). (All the decals are normally magnetic, so at the weekend he turns into a loon like us lot!!!!)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
ive got my lass on my car (shes a learner driver) she loves it cause most ppl dont give a learner drive a chance to get up to speed b4 they over take so she loves just wacking her foot down in 3rd lol.

but as shes a learner driver she doesnt put her foot down if you know what i mean lol

just incase ppl dont know ive got a 1.9cdti with green box

i think learner drivers should have more power than a 1lt car cause its hard enough but having no power it was hard for me to build up to over take ppl and stuff

now i dont think they should be in like 170 to 240 bhp cars but a 1.6 is good in my eyes

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Learn in a powerful car so when you get a car, you've learnt how to handle the power. Smart idea if you ask me.
I kind of agree with that,
there is not much point in learning in a 1.2 something and then with very little experience buying your 1st car that has alot more power

1 - 20 of 22 Posts