Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave:

Bought some Hexis vinyl from lottie at the weekend to go towards her charity pot and with the plan to wrap my roof... I reckoned it would probably be big enough, as did lottie & Ian, but typically, I've just gone out with and unrolled it over the roof to check it for size... and guess what?

Yep, about half an inch too bloody short.

So I have two questions, one from the mother, both from Ian and both valid questions I don't have an answer for :)

Question one :) To lay it over the car, I've unscrewed the aerial, but left the aerial base in position. I will obviously be dismantling the aerial base to remove it before actually wrapping it... how much of a difference in length do you reckon this would actually make? Valid point from Ian that made us wonder if it might take an inch or so off the length once laid out as it obviously isn't laying flat?

Question two :) How much would the vinyl stretch under heat, and would it be advised to do this? Just wondering if we might be able to stretch it a little bit at both ends under heat while applying it so that it makes up that extra half an inch or so... and even if this is going to work, would you advise it? Would it still look OK?

Cheers for any tips you can give. If we don't reckon it's gonna be big enough, then I'll buy some more vinyl that is bigger later and sort out another use/home for this vinyl :)

Cheers,
Mike :salute:

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
:wave:

Bought some Hexis vinyl from lottie at the weekend to go towards her charity pot and with the plan to wrap my roof... I reckoned it would probably be big enough, as did lottie & Ian, but typically, I've just gone out with and unrolled it over the roof to check it for size... and guess what?

Yep, about half an inch too bloody short.

So I have two questions, one from the mother, both from Ian and both valid questions I don't have an answer for :)

Question one :) To lay it over the car, I've unscrewed the aerial, but left the aerial base in position. I will obviously be dismantling the aerial base to remove it before actually wrapping it... how much of a difference in length do you reckon this would actually make? Valid point from Ian that made us wonder if it might take an inch or so off the length once laid out as it obviously isn't laying flat?

Question two :) How much would the vinyl stretch under heat, and would it be advised to do this? Just wondering if we might be able to stretch it a little bit at both ends under heat while applying it so that it makes up that extra half an inch or so... and even if this is going to work, would you advise it? Would it still look OK?

Cheers for any tips you can give. If we don't reckon it's gonna be big enough, then I'll buy some more vinyl that is bigger later and sort out another use/home for this vinyl :)

Cheers,
Mike :salute:
1) I would do it and find out, you might gain a little bit.

2) I really wouldn't take the risk as you might end up completely wasting it.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Vinyl actually stretches a fair bit under heat as long as you're careful. The issue can be in weather like this it cools down too fast and can cause tears (both kinds). If you can get someone to give you a hand and keep the heat continually on the Vinyl you'll probably find you can safely stretch the length of the stuff you have to hang over the front/back of your car by about 6 inches.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Well Ian's offered to help, and you offered a while ago so was gonna text you and ask you if you were still up for it once I'd worked out if it'd fit :)
I'm free every Sunday up until the SMD weekend at Mikes (Y), where I am free on that Saturday instead as I'll be getting work done by Adam on the Sunday :)

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I've done a little bit of wrapping on smaller objects with some lesser quality vinyl so I've seen how the heat can turn it :) Just not done something so big and not used Hexis vinyl so wasn't sure how this one would work in comparison :)

Will give it another lay out when I get a chance to take the aerial base off though. It really is a small amount, but having a little bit more would be nice. It's a shame as it hangs over the sides by quite a bit with excess, but if I turn it round 90 degrees, it's shorter and now even wider :shock:

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
I'd be surprised if it'll stretch that far to be honest, but I coudl be wrong.

You will need to try and gain mm's as you go rather than just stretch the last bit.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That'll easily stretch over that wee gap, probably by about 4-5in.

Try and get three of you to wrap the roof. One to hold the heat gun and the other two laying the vinyl. Makes life far easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts