Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone has any ideas...I have 4 new tyres, all balanced, all laser aligned. But steering wheel vibrates horribly above 60mph and car seems to kind of manoeuvre all over the place. Had problem before change of tyres. Only owned car 2 months, always had the problem since I've had it. It's 06 Sri 2.0 turbo.

Other problems that might be or may not have someing to do with it are....
burst cv boot on driveshaft.
brakes squeeling on initially pressing them
rear suspension squeeking on bumps, speed bumps, kerbs etc although I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Its going back to petervardy on wed next week, best they could do apparently! It's about 6th time I've taken it in for repairs in 2 months! This time if things ain't sorted am demanding refund so anyone any ideas by any chance coz I don't trust these guys to sort it out!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the vibrating flatten out once over 70 at all?
Nope vibration in effect any speed above 60.

Aye wheel nuts are fine. But as I say this happened before new tyres. I thought they would have sorted it out after balance and alignment but they've not.

Forgot to mention steering wheel is off centre by quite a bit! Was off centre slightly before new tyres and alignment but much worse after alignment

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I would say the balancing is still out imho,the steering wheel should be straight so thats not set up properly either.. Need to find another garage if its under warranty..

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If wheel aint central when driving, get tracking checked, if one wheel is out, thus not straight when going straight (well within recomended settings anyway as very few wheels are 'straight' :lol: ) then may explain your issues.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi

If the shudder was there before and is still present after balancing, it could either be the balancer is not calibrated properly so the wheel is not balanced properly or maybe a balance weight has come off or it may be that there is a slight warp or dent in one or more of the wheels.

You could take it back to where it was done and ask them to check the balance or take it somewhere else and get them done again.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going in to garage tomorrow so I'll let Yas know what happens! Not holding my breath but I'm getting my payments fae hire purchase company refunded when I told them I wanted to return this car due to the endless faults I seem to be experiencing!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I said I'd give an update...Peter vardys basically went through checks on it and said need new shocks, cv joints and boots...they fixed nothing though an decided to make me wait a week on Monday before it going back in for the new parts. And it may be in Tuesday too. At least am getting courtesy car this time.
Still another week of waiting for it to be fixed. So bloody frustrating. They've not gone through their assessment fully with me as the woman whom phoned didn't have the mechanics notes when she phoned me to update me...hmmmm dodgers!
Oooh and I've queried upgrading shocks to vxr ones! Lol gotta try

1 - 13 of 13 Posts