Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have a 2010 Vauxhall Astra H 1.4 Active.

I'm not 100% what the problem could be, however the car goes to start, fails and then clicks on trying turn over. The dash lights and radio come on but when I turn the key the interior light does dim.

Could this be just a nearly dead battery?

Thanks in advance!!:)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It may well be a dud battery,
a multimeter across the battery terminals when cranking will give you good idea if the voltage is dropping too far

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's booked into a garage to repair the track rod end that some joyriders snapped (thankfully my partner has a Vectra I can drive) so I'll ask him to check then. If it is a did battery I'll just replace it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
When you say joyriders damaged the track rod end, I presume you had the car pinched.
I would also consider possible damage to the underneath of the car that may have damaged/loosened the starter motor cables. These cables are linked to the battery also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I didn't even know it had been stolen. I only knew because the police said they'd recovered it. When I picked it up from the impound the boot lid has a dent in it and both of my bumpers are damaged. The car was in pristine condition when I had it 2 months ago. It started straight away up until today. I was starting it to ensure it didn't seize because you never know. I'm hoping it is a dud battery. But I'll get my mechanic to check it all. My mum has jump leads so we're going to try them first. Just thought I'd get a few opinions. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts