Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this today on the South Wales Argus website.

"LANE closures along an 11-mile long stretch on the M4 have sparked fears Gwent roads will be gridlocked for the next year.

The Assembly has issued a new order to stop all vehicles, except for the emergency services, from travelling along certain parts of the 11 mile stretch between Junction 23A Magor and Junction 28 Tredegar Park.

The restrictions will operate 24 hours a day but they are expected to be applied intermittently during off-peak times between 8pm and 6am.

These measures came into effect from last night and could last until August 27 next year.

David Russ, managing director of South Wales Chamber of Commerce, said he was horrified and appalled by the order.

He said: “This will send a very clear message to potential inward investors that Wales is not open for business.”

He said even though he recognises that the order only applies at certain times, he is horrified by the impact it will have on Newport city centre.

He added: “From our Chamber’s perspective I am not aware of businesses being consulted about the impact of this on them.

“They have taken the decision in isolation.”

Any vehicles wider than 1.98m will not be able to use the outside or middle lanes of the motorway eastbound and westbound from near the Coldra to Tredegar Park.

The order outlines 36 alternative routes, including the B4245 Newport Road after leaving the motorway at Magor and then on to the A48 Chepstow Road heading towards Newport before rejoining the motorway at Junction 24, the Coldra.

This work is part of the Assembly’s plan to install a £7 million variable speed limit system on the M4 and improve safety.

This involves installing electronic signs to allow the speed limit to be varied to control motorway traffic.

A 50 mph speed restriction already applies on parts of the M4 and will continue until the work is completed.

An Assembly spokesman said: “This is one of the busiest sections of the M4 and traffic flows exceed capacity but we are committed to reducing congestion and improving safety on this stretch of road.

“By controlling the speed of traffic at times of heavy flow this system will reduce congestion and accidents associated with heavy braking and improve air quality.”

This new order also comes less than two months after the Assembly announced it was scrapping the proposed £1 billion M4 relief road as part of its National Transport Plan"

·
Registered
73 Posts
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

are they f***in real?

By closing motorway to certain traffic will only cause gridlock on the A and B roads.

And to think people with degrees and paid big bucks make these decisions.

Do you think they know what they are doing? I DONT

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I travel this stretch of motorway every day as i work in Bristol. At least it should be open for me as i'm on there at 7am and 5pm.

I'm sure that it is still going to cause chaos though...

·
Registered
275 Posts
As a Roads Engineer by profession... that sounds like someone who has seriously got the wrong end of the stick. :sus:

I can have road closures, temporary speed limits and convoy working promoted on sections of trunk road in Scotland for up to 3 months at a time.
That doesn't mean the roads will be closed or subject to temporary speed limits for 3 months continuously, it only means the legal orders are in place as and when restrictions are required.
The width restriction sounds to me like it's for a narrow lanes system where you keep HGV's in lane 1. (Y)

Wrong end of the stick me thinks...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a Roads Engineer by profession... that sounds like someone who has seriously got the wrong end of the stick. :sus:

I can have road closures, temporary speed limits and convoy working promoted on sections of trunk road in Scotland for up to 3 months at a time.
That doesn't mean the roads will be closed or subject to temporary speed limits for 3 months continuously, it only means the legal orders are in place as and when restrictions are required.
The width restriction sounds to me like it's for a narrow lanes system where you keep HGV's in lane 1. (Y)

Wrong end of the stick me thinks...
I hope so cause this is a crap stretch of motorway without any restrictions... let alone with....

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
all vehicles except emergency vehicles between the hours of 8pm and 6am.
ill bet anyone here 10 pounds this never happens.
I dont know that stretch of road or how bad it is buttheree will be a simpsons style mob if that gets through the powers that be

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
this is absulote madness they have variable cameras from coldra to brynglass tunnels now ive said for a while i think they will set them at 50 mph from now on even when work finnishes

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is absulote madness they have variable cameras from coldra to brynglass tunnels now ive said for a while i think they will set them at 50 mph from now on even when work finnishes
The cameras from the coldra to brynglass are the SPECS average speed cameras with a 50mph speed limit.

I too think that the stretch of motorway currently at 50mph will probably remain 50mph when the work is complete.

·
A.O.N Regional Organiser - Wales (Craig)
2,993 Posts
that's just crazy, that means all the traffic will be coming past me and that gets busy enough normally with out this *****!!
I agree to a point with the speed restrictions as there is far 2 many accidents around brynglas, but then I come off at the motor way before the restrictions either side so it doesn't affect me as such

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i've just come home from work and the signs on the motorway are saying that there will be overnight closures next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts