Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I got this 51 Belmont 1.7 dti in May, its seen life but it is what it is so with its reliability, pokey throttle, 50 mpg locally and 60 motorway its a keeper! I'm about to replace a front wheel bearing, and I replaced a leaking front damper when I got it - overall I'm happy with it, but when I got it the service light was on (I don't really notice it now), and sometimes it goes out for a few seconds to 10 mins, when I did the brake/trip trick it just said 'service' (and I have) the issue its always had is a quite loud rattle which sounds like the valves/cams. it only happens under moderate acceleration sometimes, and not often. I'm wondering if its connected to the service light? - i.e. a failed sensor etc?
Also, can someone tell me how the cold start works? theres no 'glow plug' light on the dash and no need to turn on the ignition for a while before cranking... yet it fires up straight away any time and any weather.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
Given the age of the car the pedal test won't work, would need to do the paper clip test or get an obd( assuming that you have an obd port in the car as Diesles weren't required to have the obd std till 2004 but some earlier cars got it.

The glow plug light is most likely still there but prob got a blown bulb in the cluster.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
It should be OBDII compliant. It will have the Delco ECU (DMRW) so the pedal test"should" work in theory. The Y17DT engines eventually do need the valve clearances manually adjusted when they reach high mileage, this could possibly be the source of the noise, but I would try and get the fault codes read first as it could well be something quite simple to sort out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts