Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I've just started using shell V-power unleaded, as I was told this is the best petrol to keep your fuel system clean. Couldn't believe the price tho, as normally I go for shell fuelsave. Has anyone using v-power or any other premium fuels ever noticed any difference within a time period? Plus, the recommended fuel rating on astra petrol is 95 ron, so would using the vpower 98 ron in the long run harm the engine/cat at all? I know the ECU works harder at adjusting the fuel levels. Basically I need to know if I'm wasting my money by using v-power, car does feel a small tad smoother already, but hardly noticable. Or, might it be worth just using the good stuff occasionally to give everything a good clean.

thanks

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Running 98 RON will generally be better for the engine rather than harming it. It is a better quality fuel.

As for whether it is worth using it constantly, depends what engine you are running it on. If you have a turbo engine, I'd say it's worth it. If it is an N/A, it'll do some good, but hardly noticeable.

I ran it on my old 1.6 TwinPort and noticed it ran smoother but after a while, I couldn't justify the price.

I have tried V-Power Diesel on my 1.9 CDTi and noticed absolutely no difference. I actually find mine runs best on Morrisons City Diesel. Sounds strange, but it seems to run better than when I use Shell, BP or Esso fuel :shrug:

·
Registered
129 Posts
As above, more beneficial on turbo-ed cars but wouldn't use it on non turbo just a waste of money.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running 98 RON will generally be better for the engine rather than harming it. It is a better quality fuel.

As for whether it is worth using it constantly, depends what engine you are running it on. If you have a turbo engine, I'd say it's worth it. If it is an N/A, it'll do some good, but hardly noticeable.

I ran it on my old 1.6 TwinPort and noticed it ran smoother but after a while, I couldn't justify the price.

I have tried V-Power Diesel on my 1.9 CDTi and noticed absolutely no difference. I actually find mine runs best on Morrisons City Diesel. Sounds strange, but it seems to run better than when I use Shell, BP or Esso fuel :shrug:
The engine is 1.6 Z16XER, thanks

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
The engine is 1.6 Z16XER, thanks
It won't do any harm. Big_Bad_Ian has the same engine and runs it on BP Ultimate. I don't know how much to believe, but it ran 120BHP on a rolling road at AmD and the operator's first comments were asking what fuel it was running on and believed that had helped it...

How true that is though, no idea :shrug: If I could afford it, I'd say on an engine like that, maybe run a tank of it through every so often but you probably won't see big enough gains to warrant switching it to your permanent fuel of choice. Unless you're really rich and can afford the price :lol:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I've been using super since the beginning of the year, either V-Power, Momentum or Ultimate which ever is cheapest at the time (usually Momentum).

To be honest, I have noticed an improvement in fuel economy, not sure on the MPG figures or anything but I get another couple of days from each tank. Average around 40ish miles a day too.
Also I have noticed that the engine runs smoother with super in and that the spark plugs are cleaner.
Power wise, meh nothing really noticable to be honest.
Where I am, I pay around £1.38 - £1.42 for super.

Forgot to add that the cars on 167k

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've been using super since the beginning of the year, either V-Power, Momentum or Ultimate which ever is cheapest at the time (usually Momentum).

To be honest, I have noticed an improvement in fuel economy, not sure on the MPG figures or anything but I get another couple of days from each tank. Average around 40ish miles a day too.
Also I have noticed that the engine runs smoother with super in and that the spark plugs are cleaner.
Power wise, meh nothing really noticable to be honest.
Where I am, I pay around £1.38 - £1.42 for super.

Forgot to add that the cars on 167k

Thanks all, I'll propably only use the good stuff once in a while as it hurts pockets, tho me too have noticed a more smoother engine on accelaration and idle. But the regular shell fuel save should be good enough to keep the fuel system clean. It is tempting to always use premium but very ouch on the pennies. I will report back in a week or two for any noticable MPG.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the premium reluctantly but it's a turbo and I have noticed its a lot smoother with premium than normal stuff. But any na engine or diesel I just use normal stuff. Not done any harm to any car all these years has it! V power seems to increase my mpg most. Tesco and bp I notice no difference in mpg stakes. Tesco momentum I have heard the chemicals can actually be detrimental but I've not heard nothing official on that

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I use the premium reluctantly but it's a turbo and I have noticed its a lot smoother with premium than normal stuff. But any na engine or diesel I just use normal stuff. Not done any harm to any car all these years has it! V power seems to increase my mpg most. Tesco and bp I notice no difference in mpg stakes. Tesco momentum I have heard the chemicals can actually be detrimental but I've not heard nothing official on that
What premium do you usually use?? lol.

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
V power is 99 RON and made a noticeable difference when i used it in the 1.8vvt and never used anything since as it was brilliant

Same goes with the vxr lump

You can instantly tell the difference with both engines when filling with a diff fuel imo

But as said above nothing wrong and makes sense to stick with normal unleaded for the n/a 1.6 unless you want to use the super :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
also correct me if i am wrong but don't these fuels ( i only know this about the diesels) have cleaning property's? if so i am sure that using them regularly (but not every time, especially if you broke like me) would give the engine a good going over and make it nice and clean in there?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I can't tell the difference between 95 and 99.

I had to put 97 in it today at 153.9 per litre, all because I was ooop north, thought things were supposed to be cheaper!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
use the momentum 99 stuff never had any problems used as my number 1 petrol now 2nd is vpower followed by 3rd choice BP (ripoffs), notcied alot smoother accel and seem to pik up alot faster then when using 95 stuff as that feels boggy etc and felt propa ***** low down in the rev range, also i though v-power was 98 ron and tesco were the only ones to do 99!!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The old shell super optimal was 98 rated, the V power is 99
The trouble with V power is that is it like 8p a litre more than standard and I doubt you get that back in any increase in mpg. I use the tesco momentum 99 as it is only 4p a litre more plus you get the club card points at tesco. I have used a couple of tanks of just momentum now and I seem to average a couple more and drive smoother but maybe its just the placebo effect

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I only ever use Momentum, and can't justify the extra cost of V-Power. I don't notice any difference in MPG or performance. If I run the car on normal 95 ron fuel, it feels sluggish and not quite as smooth. Definitely worth running turbo'd cars on the super unleaded in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i only use v power like one every 5 fills as it pretty much is only made for cleaning lol (on a derv anyway)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I always use Shell in my 1.9 CDTi... My Uncle works at Shell Ellesmere Port and he said Shell/BP have first pick of the fuel (the best) then the Supermarkets get the left overs... always put me off as he said there had been some nasty bits found in the dreggs...

Again thats just my opinion

1 - 20 of 20 Posts