Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice really.

I drive approximately 25 miles on the motorway to work and then back again later in the day. I often drive at between 70 and 80 mph, most of the time being in 5th gear.

Does anyone recommend changing into 6th at some point or am i okay in 5th? I just dont want to knack the gear box.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Don't know if its the same on the diesels but my mpg increases nicely when cruising in 6th, purrs along at an economically (comparatively) low rpm, saves me a few quid over long journeys as a result so makes sense to!

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
I don't notice a massive difference in MPG between 5th and 6th gears unless I'm running a very long journey...

But it just seems to cruise smoother and slightly quieter if I stick it into 6th once I get to my chosen cruising speed. I won't use 6th any lower than 60mph, and will only use it when cruising at 60. If still pulling, I'll keep it in 4th or 5th :)

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice really.

I drive approximately 25 miles on the motorway to work and then back again later in the day. I often drive at between 70 and 80 mph, most of the time being in 5th gear.

Does anyone recommend changing into 6th at some point or am i okay in 5th? I just dont want to knack the gear box.

Rob.

80mph in 5th must be well over 3k rpm (I think)

what is your thinking for not going up to 6th? seriously, at what speed do you go up to 6th gear?

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I miss my 6 th gear, don't know if it makes much difference to diesel usage since the last car I has 6th on was a 1.3 and it hardly used any to start with....

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Use 6th gear as soon as possible. Someone at work doesnt use 5th or 6th except on the motorway and then they wonder why they get 10 - 15 to the gallon less than me. I could just weep with frustration :'(

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Use 6th gear as soon as possible. Someone at work doesnt use 5th or 6th except on the motorway and then they wonder why they get 10 - 15 to the gallon less than me. I could just weep with frustration :'(
My Mum didn't even know her car had a 5th gear :lol: Although I nearly stuck it in reverse on the motorway once expecting 6th :lol:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts