Astra Owners Network banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
It’s only the cd40 radio system that had the better speakers, the cd40 is a dab headunit but you don’t get the stations now as most have went onto dab+, the Sirius you have over there is far better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It’s only the cd40 radio system that had the better speakers, the cd40 is a dab headunit but you don’t get the stations now as most have went onto dab+, the Sirius you have over there is far better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see. We do have the cd40 here which would be a nice upgrade to get access to AUX. I need to upgrade the speakers eventually but at least the stock unit sounds better than the crappy audio system my former Honda Civix LX-S had!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Should be able to find one.

I have shipped outside the UK before so i can help in getting it in.

The best option is to find a matched kit. I can recover the code.

Then find a matched stero and screen.

1.8 cars here are super cheap and easy to find. I have a local scrap yard that had a 1.8 in a week ago

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Should be able to find one.

I have shipped outside the UK before so i can help in getting it in.

The best option is to find a matched kit. I can recover the code.

Then find a matched stero and screen.

1.8 cars here are super cheap and easy to find. I have a local scrap yard that had a 1.8 in a week ago

Appreciated! Would I need the radio for the ECU to work (if it has the code already) or is that an optional?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not required, they communicate but wont be an issue.

As long as the kit is matching and the radio is matching to the screen its fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not required, they communicate but wont be an issue.

As long as the kit is matching and the radio is matching to the screen its fine.

Excellent! Let me know if you find one. I think this should work and allow me to use the EDS mapping. Eventually I'd like to get the VRX engine/trans imported over and get a proper "tune" to my Astra but for now this should suffice.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you want to do that give me a call as i converted my 1.4.

So i know what you need to swap to make it all work right.

Just bare in mind it's not cheap or easy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you want to do that give me a call as i converted my 1.4.

So i know what you need to swap to make it all work right.

Just bare in mind it's not cheap or easy.

Man that would be sweet!! The main hurdle is getting the engine approved by the EPA (our emissions Nazis) and doing the paperwork, this is the hardest part. The rest is not that hard aside from figuring out what items I'd need (which would be a lot I assume lol)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Man that would be sweet!! The main hurdle is getting the engine approved by the EPA (our emissions Nazis) and doing the paperwork, this is the hardest part. The rest is not that hard aside from figuring out what items I'd need.
True, you will have to work that one out. Depending on state laws.

I did a full write up and documneted what I did to convert a 1.4 to a VXR Spec. Though be mindful the M32 gearbox is renown for breaking at stock power levels. It needs a proper look after and upgraded to slowdown its eventual death.

Being mechanically minded helps as well due to the limited access to parts and anyone out your side that actually knows how to tune the car you might find it hard to get it all tuned. The Tuncing Society Over here offers remote tools for mapping to Australia so he might be a point you want to keep in mind.

Would be very rare to see that kind of car over your side, but then it might just be better to buy the whole VXR and import it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
True, you will have to work that one out. Depending on state laws.

I did a full write up and documneted what I did to convert a 1.4 to a VXR Spec. Though be mindful the M32 gearbox is renown for breaking at stock power levels. It needs a proper look after and upgraded to slowdown its eventual death.

Being mechanically minded helps as well due to the limited access to parts and anyone out your side that actually knows how to tune the car you might find it hard to get it all tuned. The Tuncing Society Over here offers remote tools for mapping to Australia so he might be a point you want to keep in mind.

Would be very rare to see that kind of car over your side, but then it might just be better to buy the whole VXR and import it.
Do you have a link to your swap? I'll keep him in mind when I can do that!

A VXR in America would be the only one of its kind. Heck, I'm converting my hatch to the XP style with a VRX bumper(s) and afaik there's no other one like it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Do you have a link to your swap? I'll keep him in mind when I can do that!

A VXR in America would be the only one of its kind. Heck, I'm converting my hatch to the XP style with a VRX bumper(s) and afaik there's no other one like it.
I will have to dig it out some time tomorrow. I would look into importing a whole car, as it would save you a **** load of cash. In total I think it cost me about £7500 ($9627.00) to get mine totally swapped, mapped and all other random bits I needed to do to get the car legal.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Where as a decent car over here runs for about 3-4k and overall import charged are around 1k it seems

Car Cost: $3850.80-$5134.40
Import: $1100+

Would be your conversion rates currently

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Where as a decent car over here runs for about 3-4k and overall import charged are around 1k it seems

Car Cost: $3850.80-$5134.40
Import: $1100+

Would be your conversion rates currently
The issue of importing an Astra would be the 25 year old import law we have in the US. Only cars that are 25 year old or older can be imported without modifying them to EPA standards and those are easier to do. However, there's a clause that specified that if a car is similar to a US car it's possible to import it under such law, but I'll need help from a lawyer or an importation company as it's not entirely clear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here's a good article about importing a "substantially similar car" to the US.

I could bring a VRX one yes, but with one BIG caveat. I'd have to buy several VRX's and crash test them through the NHTSA to be able to be road-worthy lol!. Then I'd have to pass several other requirements such as headlight modification, gas spill mods, etc. Unless I could get Vauxhall to write an official letter that the car is substantially similar to the US Astra (which they may or may not want to do for various reasons one being liability) I'm practically out of options.

Importing an engine might be easier but not sure yet.

It's almost illegal the barriers our goverment has put in place to bring cars over.

But once the VRX turns 25 yr old, then yeah but gosh that's a long time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Here's a good article about importing a "substantially similar car" to the US.

I could bring a VRX one yes, but with one BIG caveat. I'd have to buy several VRX's and crash test them through the NHTSA to be able to be road-worthy lol!. Then I'd have to pass several other requirements such as headlight modification, gas spill mods, etc. Unless I could get Vauxhall to write an official letter that the car is substantially similar to the US Astra (which they may or may not want to do for various reasons one being liability) I'm practically out of options.

Importing an engine might be easier but not sure yet.

It's almost illegal the barriers our goverment has put in place to bring cars over.

But once the VRX turns 25 yr old, then yeah but gosh that's a long time.

Got to love import laws....

Well might be worth a shot to see if Vauxhall will write that type of letter no harm in asking to be fair. Otherwise yea a conversion would be your other option if you can't get it done.

Can't see to much that could be an isse the engine is new enough that the materails would be fine, there was no engine similar in the US cars. The body is the same so it all bolts in its the wiring that takes the time as you have to swap the ENTIRE body loom. Back to a bare shell I mean.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got to love import laws....

Well might be worth a shot to see if Vauxhall will write that type of letter no harm in asking to be fair. Otherwise yea a conversion would be your other option if you can't get it done.

Can't see to much that could be an isse the engine is new enough that the materails would be fine, there was no engine similar in the US cars. The body is the same so it all bolts in its the wiring that takes the time as you have to swap the ENTIRE body loom. Back to a bare shell I mean.
Indeed. Writing them a letter or calling them is free, so it's worth a shot. I thought of trying to import the engine in pieces to bypass the import restrictions and assemble it here. A head block here, a few pistons and a crankshaft there etc lol. It would be a looong import process but might be easier to do.

I think with all the parts and hardware the installation of the engine should be "plug and play". But that would be for a future upgrade, for now if I can get at least 20hp out of the Z18XER I'd be a happy camper!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Indeed. Writing them a letter or calling them is free, so it's worth a shot. I thought of trying to import the engine in pieces to bypass the import restrictions and assemble it here. A head block here, a few pistons and a crankshaft there etc lol. It would be a looong import process but might be easier to do.

I think with all the parts and hardware the installation of the engine should be "plug and play". But that would be for a future upgrade, for now if I can get at least 20hp out of the Z18XER I'd be a happy camper!
Well I will look for a kit when I down at the scrappy next time and see if I can find a good ECU kit with the code and keys.

Just need to make sure all the fuse boxes look the same Once you have the code you can add and remove other modules as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well I will look for a kit when I down at the scrappy next time and see if I can find a good ECU kit with the code and keys.

Just need to make sure all the fuse boxes look the same Once you have the code you can add and remove other modules as well.
Appreciated man. I'll take a couple good pics of my fuse boxes and post them here.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Im not sure why you think the ECU is different. Its exactly the same. Only the firmware is different.

When using software update on GlobalTIS it asks what Market the car is for, so you could select Europe/Other and it would flash our firmware instead of the US one. Wouldnt think there is too much difference though.
Same with the Auto Gearbox software, you can select what Country. Our UK 4sp gearbox software just hangs onto the gears a little longer and engages the torque lockup at exactly 50mph in 4th gear.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Im not sure why you think the ECU is different. Its exactly the same. Only the firmware is different.

When using software update on GlobalTIS it asks what Market the car is for, so you could select Europe/Other and it would flash our firmware instead of the US one. Wouldnt think there is too much difference though.
Same with the Auto Gearbox software, you can select what Country. Our UK 4sp gearbox software just hangs onto the gears a little longer and engages the torque lockup at exactly 50mph in 4th gear.
As the us got a different specs its not uncommon to see different ecus in the cars.

Or the software is different, so best to keep a matched kit together.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts