Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our US Astras have crappy ECU's. Nobody ever offered a remap for our computers. Only possible option to tune up our cars is to get an imported ECU.

Therefore, if I get a ECU from an Astra in the UK, or elsewhere in Europe and reprogram/reset it with tech2, do you think this can be achieved?

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Our US Astras have crappy ECU's. Nobody ever offered a remap for our computers. Only possible option to tune up our cars is to get an imported ECU.

Therefore, if I get a ECU from an Astra in the UK, or elsewhere in Europe and reprogram/reset it with tech2, do you think this can be achieved?

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
What engine do you have in your astra ?

Not sure the US got the decent models to be sure. Can only seem to find the 1.8 engine which is not a great engine to get power out of.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply. I've got the Z18XER. I think it's practically the same engine as the one in the SRi or XP, but the ECU has the simtec 77 which is a different version than yours are. This is the only engine GM imported in the Astra to the states.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply. I've got the Z18XER. I think it's practically the same engine as the one in the SRi or XP, but the ECU has the simtec 77 which is a different version than yours are. This is the only engine GM imported in the Astra to the states.
Yea thought so, to be fair I would imagine they would have kept a lot of the cars design details the same. If you can get a picture of the front and rear fuse boxes.

Front Fuse box - Under bonnet / Hood
Rear fuse box - In boot on the left hand side
The clocks (Speedo cluster)
And the ECU - Which should be under the intake in the right hand side of the engine.

It will be easier to see if they are the same then, if they are you could get a whole kit to swap it over to the euro spec. As just doing the ecu means you would need a whole lot of programming and such to get it to all talk to each other

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I reckon the only issue will be the anti-smog stuff fitted to the US models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts

Yea, I would imagine that being the only big issue too now you say it. Though it can vary depending on state

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
There might be a way to map it so the pollution stuff is more or less redundant, not sure if that stuff can be blanked off tho

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea thought so, to be fair I would imagine they would have kept a lot of the cars design details the same. If you can get a picture of the front and rear fuse boxes.

Front Fuse box - Under bonnet / Hood
Rear fuse box - In boot on the left hand side
The clocks (Speedo cluster)
And the ECU - Which should be under the intake in the right hand side of the engine.

It will be easier to see if they are the same then, if they are you could get a whole kit to swap it over to the euro spec. As just doing the ecu means you would need a whole lot of programming and such to get it to all talk to each other
Thanks for the input! The following is the rear ECU I found on ebay. I'll take a pic of the front fuse box later.

If I were to reset the ECU, would I have to reprogram a lot of parameters then? But if I buy the ECU kit it shouldn't require any programming is this correct?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That could be an issue but I don't know much about it. I'll have to see how our cars differ in the smog hardware and if it has any relation to the ecu programming.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
As long as it’s all matching it’s just a case of plug n play, as long as you get the code for future programming

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as it’s all matching it’s just a case of plug n play, as long as you get the code for future programming

Thanks man. How do I get the code? I think this solution sounds far more simpler.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Hopefully the seller has the code, if the radio comes with it, can get the code read off the display

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully the seller has the code, if the radio comes with it, can get the code read off the display

I think the code could also be retrieved via tech2? I'll see if I find a ecu kit with the radio but most sellers have it without (too heavy to ship overseas also)

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Yeah it a bit heavy with the radio, colour display would be nice tho lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Color display huh?! That would be something. I don't think the US got any of these displays.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was comparing images of the rear fuse boxes in Vauxhall Astras vs US Astras and can confirm that they are physically the same. Now, I notice that some fuses are in different places I reckon due to differences in add-ons the US didn't receive. I'm not sure if this would be an issue or not.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Different models over here got different options, ideally you should be looking for the elite as it does every option, hopefully it came in a 1.8 engine option

·
Registered
558 Posts
Let me know the engine code and I can find you a kit.

Can get the code recovered too

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Different models over here got different options, ideally you should be looking for the elite as it does every option, hopefully it came in a 1.8 engine option

I assume this one will have better sound systerm/speakers too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts