Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one im new to this so please bare with me!
ive got a 2006 asta 1.7 tcdi.
on xmas eve i noticed a slight wurring noise comming from the engine and thought nothing of it. That eveing i noticed that the dash board lights dimmed as i tried to start the car, again as it was xmas eve i thought nothing of it. Then xmas morning once again the lights dimmed as the car started but i as drove down the road, the power steering cut out intermitantly and the abs light came on and off.

at this point i decided to pull over and turn the engine off only to find the bat was complely dead!

ive check the aux belt and that seems to be fine and quite tight.
if any if any of you could please give me any advise i would be truely greatfull as ive no clue where to start and dont really have the money to take it to a garage!

thanks in advance

Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no the bat is too dead for that..... it will start with jump leads.
so im going to charge it over night and try that in the morning!

have u any idea how to work out which alternator i need. because they come is different power output apparently!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Defo the alternator as it charges the battery once that car is started. If it fails the battery will die but can be charged back up with an external charger or jump leads would help start the car again. But the battery will soon die as the alternator cant recharge it

·
Premium Member
15,092 Posts
Incidentally, the reason for the PAS failing is that owing to the high current draw it pretty much runs off the output from the alternator and not the battery itself - which it can flatten in no time at all as you have discovered.

The power steering is run by an electric motor you see, and the ABS issue is just a low voltage error. This will vanish once you give it a charged battery.

·
Premium Member
15,092 Posts
HA sorry stickman any chance i could have that in liemans terms!
so does that mean that the 100a alternator would be no good??
They probably used to do 2, a 100 and a 110. They've just decided to stop fitting the 100 in the factory so from a replacement point of view they only have to make 1 part instead of 2, so a 110 will be OK for a 100 (Y)

But if you can find a 100A one then it will be fine (Y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts