Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until yesterday my car was insured with Adrian Flux, using the AON discount. With all mods declared, 2 years NCB and a SP50 it was just over a grand, which was better than anyone else and manageable.

As some of you will be aware, in July my car was rammed by a drunk driver in a van (3-4 times over the legal limit) on purpose, as he tried to escape giving details after a minor collision. I reported this to Flux the day it happened, they were given the crime reference number. A few days later they told me the other driver was disputing liability, and that when both sides disputed liability there's nothing they could do. Apart from a couple of phonecalls when they were disputing estimates (trying to get the price of the job down), I've heard nothing since.

The drunk who rammed my car pleaded not guilty on 3rd September to charges of drink driving, criminal damage, and aggravated criminal damage (for ramming the car), and there is a trial date set for mid November. With independent witnesses, CCTV and the fact he tried to run from the police, it's pretty cut and dry, but AF still say there's nothing they can do unless he's convicted or accepts liability.

This leaves me in a situation, which is that due to the value and nature of this claim the cheapest insurance quote I can get is well over £3k. I've asked AF for a renewal quote based on my reinstated NCB and without it, so I would know how much I was due to be refunded, but they only could give me a price without the NCB which was approaching £4k! When I asked the guy on the telephone why this was he said it was because they had paid out so much last year they needed to recoup it from me this year! I was absolutely flabbergasted.

So the car is on temporary insurance for this week to get me to work and back, but at the price this is unsustainable. I've been considering SORNing the car until mid november, but obviously I don't want to do that. Can anyone make any suggestions on how to pressure Flux into getting their act together? Or does anyone know of any insurers that will tell me in black and white what the price will decrease to should (or when) I win this claim?

Thanks for any help (Y)

103 Posts
Until yesterday my car was insured with Adrian Flux, using the AON discount. With all mods declared, 2 years NCB and a SP50 it was just over a grand, which was better than anyone else and manageable.

As some of you will be aware, in July my car was rammed by a drunk driver in a van (3-4 times over the legal limit) on purpose, as he tried to escape giving details after a minor collision. I reported this to Flux the day it happened, they were given the crime reference number. A few days later they told me the other driver was disputing liability, and that when both sides disputed liability there's nothing they could do. Apart from a couple of phonecalls when they were disputing estimates (trying to get the price of the job down), I've heard nothing since.

The drunk who rammed my car pleaded not guilty on 3rd September to charges of drink driving, criminal damage, and aggravated criminal damage (for ramming the car), and there is a trial date set for mid November. With independent witnesses, CCTV and the fact he tried to run from the police, it's pretty cut and dry, but AF still say there's nothing they can do unless he's convicted or accepts liability.

This leaves me in a situation, which is that due to the value and nature of this claim the cheapest insurance quote I can get is well over £3k. I've asked AF for a renewal quote based on my reinstated NCB and without it, so I would know how much I was due to be refunded, but they only could give me a price without the NCB which was approaching £4k! When I asked the guy on the telephone why this was he said it was because they had paid out so much last year they needed to recoup it from me this year! I was absolutely flabbergasted.

So the car is on temporary insurance for this week to get me to work and back, but at the price this is unsustainable. I've been considering SORNing the car until mid november, but obviously I don't want to do that. Can anyone make any suggestions on how to pressure Flux into getting their act together? Or does anyone know of any insurers that will tell me in black and white what the price will decrease to should (or when) I win this claim?

Thanks for any help (Y)
Hiya,

Please feel free to pm me your surname, postcode and a contact telephone number, then I will ask someone to call you.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Ok first there is no set refund for the NCB being reinstated. It all depends on the company. Different insurers apply different percentage discounts. The value/nature of the claim shouldn't affect your new insurance quotes though, but the fact that as of now it's a pending fault claim (and you temporarily have lower NCD) obviously will

If you want to get prices with and without the NCD, do some quotes on a price comparison site. No one there will stop you doing quotes with some NCD.. that will give you a ROUGH idea of what to expect as a refund once the claim gets closed in your favour

It's a really rubbish situation to be in which unfortunately happens way too regularly. With liability often taking months to be settled, a renewal can often come along and get right in the way of things.

Best advice I can give is;

1. if you haven't already done so, shop around as much as possible for renewal (just because AF were cheapest before, doesn't mean they still are - other companies may not charge so much extra for the lower NCD. Also remember that leaving AF as of renewal will not effect the claim that's still going through them)
2. set up the new cover on a direct debit basis so that you don't have to fork out so much initially (this will NOT effect the future refund and once the refund is made to your account you can always then pay off what is left owing, avoiding paying any additional interest)

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm just going to have to sit it out until November, and reacquaint myself with public transport :(

Dan, thanks for your help in getting your claims management company to speak to me. However they weren't able to answer any of my questions (the standard answer was "I'm not trained to answer that"), and what I was told was often conflicting with what I've been told previously.

103 Posts
Hello

I am sorry to hear that the Insurance Company are still not able to settle the matter at this time, if the case has to go to court and the Police are also taking action this can take time I'm afraid. However, you should be able to contact the Claims Managment Company and get an update when required. I am looking into this for you again and we will be in contact shortly. Should you need any assistance at all please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Regards

Dan

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm just going to have to sit it out until November, and reacquaint myself with public transport :(

Dan, thanks for your help in getting your claims management company to speak to me. However they weren't able to answer any of my questions (the standard answer was "I'm not trained to answer that"), and what I was told was often conflicting with what I've been told previously.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
If no determination of fault or liablity has been passed or accepted, how come you have lost your NCB?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Unfortunately it's nothing to do with fault or liablity, claims are classed as 'fault claims' untill your insurer recovers all of its costs (which is why you temporarily lose NCD untill it's all sorted)

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello

I am sorry to hear that the Insurance Company are still not able to settle the matter at this time, if the case has to go to court and the Police are also taking action this can take time I'm afraid. However, you should be able to contact the Claims Managment Company and get an update when required. I am looking into this for you again and we will be in contact shortly. Should you need any assistance at all please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Regards

Dan
The problem is the claims management company (ULR) employed by Flux invariably either gives false information, information which contradicts what the insurers have said, or they openly state they don't know and make zero effort to find out. If I want to know something I have to speak to them who then speak to the insurer and then they relay is back to me, a bit like chinese whispers. What is their purpose, other than making things up and making things difficult?

Also I spoke to my insurers directly yesterday, an achievement as ULR won't usually let me talk to them, and the 0845 number supplied for them rarely picks up. I have asked them to inform me of what efforts they have made to contact the third party's insurers, dates/times of conversations/letters etc. They have only bothered to make any contact when I have called nagging, the days correspond exactly.

I was originally delighted with Flux, it's great to be able to call up and say I've fitted the XP kit and for the person on the other end to know exactly what I'm talking about. However god help anyone who tries to make a claim. What you say is not the case: civil liability does not depend on criminal liability. A civil claim can be made and proved in circumstances where criminal liability cannot be established. So it does not depend on the court date, it should not so long as the insurance company are competent.

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just in case anybody's interested (hopefully this will put some innocent people off going with Flux), here is what I've heard from them now.

They have told me on the same day that (1) the other party has not responded at all to any communication, (2) that the other party responded immediately IN JULY with a version of events stating that they claimed the damage was to the side of their vehicle, which Flux couldn't be bothered responding to despite the fact that I has also said that the damage was to the side of their vehicle, and (3) that the other party disputes liability but they haven't had their version of events. How can all three of those be true at once, on the same day?

Every time they have made any effort to contact the other party's insurer, it has been because I have been calling nagging. I have now been forced to open a case with the FSA complaining about this utterly useless organisation, and having promised to call me back LAST MONDAY I have still not heard a dicky bird.

I genuinely don't understand why such a simple case is so hard to settle. There are independent witnesses and CCTV. The old bill nicked the other driver for drink driving, and he has been charged. What more does it take for Adrian Flux to settle a claim? A high court judge as a witness? The queen's seal of approval? Frankly it's pathetic, and I sincerely hope enough people read this for them to get no more business from AON, because I wouldn't wish this situation on any other forum members.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Really hope you get it sorted mate. What about going through his insurer. That's what I did and it was no hassle

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's passed that stage unfortunately. The work's all done etc, but because of the nature of the claim and the loss of NCB etc I'm now in a position where my cheapest insurance quote is over £4k, which I just can't afford/justify, so I'm basically without the Astra until it's sorted.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Unfortunately it's nothing to do with fault or liablity, claims are classed as 'fault claims' untill your insurer recovers all of its costs (which is why you temporarily lose NCD untill it's all sorted)
+1, this goes for all ins companys not just flux (broker)...so quit with the adrian flux hate :roll:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yea but them giving such contradicting service and lack of service isn't on.. it doesn't help a situation already bad enough :(

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had dealings with a lot of insurance companies, and I've never come across such a useless lot. It's such a simple claim. I gave a description of what happened, how he scraped the side of his vehicle against mine after ramming it, the police CSI department provided forensic photos, it's not difficult. And from what I can gather the other party's insurers came back and said "but our insured has damage to the side of his van" as a reason for dispute, when this is exactly what I've told/shown them! So either Flux has relayed another version of events, or this reply (which obviously is wholly unsatisfactory) was just received THREE MONTHS AGO and they haven't bothered responding. It's pathetic.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
would it not be easier contacting the actual insurer directly instead of going though flux? since flux is really only just a middle man here, and only really pass the information between parties?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If insured through a broker you'll find most underwriters will just refer you back to the broker if you try speak to them directly

103 Posts
Hello

I have offered my assistance previously for you and this is still available should you need it.

As you know, it isn't Adrian Flux that would settle the claim, claim's are dealt with by the Underwriters as the Insurers of the vehicle. However, if you would like some assistance in contacting the Insurance Company or chasing up any other services please do not hesitate to Pm me.

Regards

Dan

Just in case anybody's interested (hopefully this will put some innocent people off going with Flux), here is what I've heard from them now.

They have told me on the same day that (1) the other party has not responded at all to any communication, (2) that the other party responded immediately IN JULY with a version of events stating that they claimed the damage was to the side of their vehicle, which Flux couldn't be bothered responding to despite the fact that I has also said that the damage was to the side of their vehicle, and (3) that the other party disputes liability but they haven't had their version of events. How can all three of those be true at once, on the same day?

Every time they have made any effort to contact the other party's insurer, it has been because I have been calling nagging. I have now been forced to open a case with the FSA complaining about this utterly useless organisation, and having promised to call me back LAST MONDAY I have still not heard a dicky bird.

I genuinely don't understand why such a simple case is so hard to settle. There are independent witnesses and CCTV. The old bill nicked the other driver for drink driving, and he has been charged. What more does it take for Adrian Flux to settle a claim? A high court judge as a witness? The queen's seal of approval? Frankly it's pathetic, and I sincerely hope enough people read this for them to get no more business from AON, because I wouldn't wish this situation on any other forum members.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wouldn't go anywhere near Flux any more, they were great 3 years ago but their customer service was awful, and their quotes have more than doubled for me since then. I had an accident while I was with them, a car smacked into the back of me, admitted liability immediately and even then it took months for everything to be sorted out!

I will say though, I've seen Dan on other forums giving good advice so I suppose not all their employees are incompetent..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts