Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can these just be replaced in place of the OE ones? Any drawbacks to weigh out the benefits? I mainly want them because I'm ****** off cleaning brake dust off my wheels. Good enough reason to buy, or should I just man up and make do with my standard pads and not waste money?

Bear in mind I'm only running a 1.4T @ ~160-170bhp so I doubt I need epic stopping power, but is it worth upgrading the whole brake kit if I'm going ceramic? I wouldn't mind having some nice meaty brembo's on there...

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
well from what i know, if you car had ceramic brake pads from stock and you put normal ones in it squeaks really loudly, and brakes will always produce dust ( i mean normal pads not ceramic) so just deal with it is what i would say, if it ant' broke don't fix it!

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well from what i know, if you car had ceramic brake pads from stock and you put normal ones in it squeaks really loudly, and brakes will always produce dust ( i mean normal pads not ceramic) so just deal with it is what i would say, if it ant' broke don't fix it!
Well i'd be going from stock -> ceramic, not ceramic -> stock - hence the word upgrade :p

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
Man up and go bbk :lol:

Or just stick with normal dude for the sake of brake dust its not worth changing

If you wanna change just get vxr brakes or something when they come out

Your not over 200bhp yet do dont 'need' it as such but can upgrade if you want definitely :thumbs: the more you do the more you'll notice obviously ...pads, discs and fluid etc

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man up and go bbk :lol:

Or just stick with normal dude for the sake of brake dust its not worth changing

If you wanna change just get vxr brakes or something when they come out

Your not over 200bhp yet do dont 'need' it as such but can upgrade if you want definitely :thumbs: the more you do the more you'll notice obviously ...pads, discs and fluid etc
Cheers for the info Stealth :) So, I'd be looking at maybe pads, calipers, discs, and fluid - is that all I'd need, or would I need to uprate the hoses or anything else? I'm lucky that the wheels are massive so I think I can go for a pretty hefty size without worrying about rubbing or anything...

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Would low dust pads like red stuff help with the problem? Instead of spending the cash on ceramics ?

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
Cheers for the info Stealth :) So, I'd be looking at maybe pads, calipers, discs, and fluid - is that all I'd need, or would I need to uprate the hoses or anything else? I'm lucky that the wheels are massive so I think I can go for a pretty hefty size without worrying about rubbing or anything...
Depends if you are buying the kit or putting one together

As if buying one itll come with everything most likely

If not then just source each bit and if its like mine then everything had to be changed or i did change everything

Discs pads fluid hoses calipers carriers lines etc but all came as a kit so was on off job

Obviously itll cost more to maintain and buy etc so factor that in too but bloody worth it lol

But once again if you are just changing due to dust that's crazy :lol: I'd rather clean the dust unless there is a proper reason

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
i agree with stealth and that was also he is making the same point as me if it is no broke dont fix it! just clean thew wheels if it bothers you, but look on the bright side you know the brakes are doing there job and you can remember that fact as you clean you wheels :)

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
but look on the bright side you know the brakes are doing there job and you can remember that fact as you clean you wheels :)
I generally notice the brakes are working by the fact that I actually stop when I use them, rather than how dirty the wheels are... but then, do you go fast enough to find out? :couch: :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts