Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls
I'd like a little advice ive searched and can't seem find any solutions.
My car is lowered but 1 side of the rear sits lower than the other.
i've parked it on flat areas to make sure its nt just a hill. ive done it with hand break off ive made sure the rear springs are seated correctly and ive swaped the springs from 1 side to the other but the passenger side always stays higher by about 10-15 mm higher.
its quite annoying 1 side sits the hight i like the other is 2 high.
the only solution i can think of would b 2 put the rubber bump stops (as these are removed from both side) in the lower side to raise it a little so both sides match but to be honest I wouldnt like to do that because both sides would be too high then.

any1 got any ideas?

i've got issues with my light switch. the dash dimmer doesnt work the head light alignment leveler doesnt work and the rear fogs dont work. but i think its just a faulty switch. Any1 any ideas?

And last of all i would like advice in alloys im 4 stud so 4x100 but theres a set of 4x100 to 5x100 pcd adaptors for sale locally. so anybody want to make a suggestion or post photos up of their alloys on their car. ive currently got 16" sxi alloys

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Springs might need bedded it. Bump stops missing. Or a spring upside down could affect it

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.
the springs are both in the same way up. the rubber bump stops are removed from both springs but it could be the ones on the shocks i suppose?
and im going to change the shocks for shorter ones soon anyway so ill no after that springs are well beded in they've been in the car for about year now.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
That would mean it would be sittin on the shock at one side and the only way that would happen is if you welded it fully stretched out. Give the car a good joogle and push each corner. See if they bounce evenly

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Last thing i can think of is damaged or wrong spring fitted. Get a mechanic to look it over

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
If you get the chance, Swap the shocks from one side to the other and see if the hight follows them

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
matty the springs are ok i swaped them over and the height stayed the same.
herc im going to be fitting different shocks soon only thing is the bottom bolt is seized on one of them thats why there not fitted yet. i hope it solves it its just a bit annoying

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Get a massive braker bar. A 1m bar does all jobs

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Can you not remove the springs and sit them next to each other, checking for even height. If they are not then you have found the problem right there.
Id also be inclined to put the bump stops back in.
When I changed my shocks I had to take it to a garage to undo the bolts that connect it to the rear beam. 1 meter bar with a 2 meter tube on it for extra leverage!! Mechanic said they had cold welded themselves in.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Bad dampner is my guess. Check your trailing arm bushes too as if one has failed or is failing it might cause this too.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replys everyone
i have tried a breaker bar and striped the teeth off the head off the bolt/rung it (stupit female torx) so im goin 2 need a new head welded on then she'll come out or snap.
i did measure it i cant remember but it was about 10-15 mm i think.
the springs have been set beside each other and look the same.
ill know soon (hopefully) if its the dampner and if its not ill check the bushes. how do you check these? are they easy replaced?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Did you jack up the rear and take out the tension by letting it hang, makes torx bolt removal easier also should of used buckets of wd40 and let it soak. Got old switch you can have cheap but double check fuses are not the cause.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
why remove the rubber seats for the springs? so your springs are sitting on the metal base i take it?

as for the wheels hub adapters would give you to much ofset and wheels would stick out to far causing scrubage on the arch just do a 5 stud conversion its easier in the long run and you get more choice of wheels

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
thanks for the replys everyone
i have tried a breaker bar and striped the teeth off the head off the bolt/rung it (stupit female torx) so im goin 2 need a new head welded on then she'll come out or snap.
i did measure it i cant remember but it was about 10-15 mm i think.
the springs have been set beside each other and look the same.
ill know soon (hopefully) if its the dampner and if its not ill check the bushes. how do you check these? are they easy replaced?
Grind it and pull the shock out the way. Then try with mole grips to see if it was just stuck to the shock. Failing that, weld a scafold pole on and turn. 6m of leverage should budge anything :) lol

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
lol.....that would work. Really best getting a weld on it. (have replacement ready and pop in to any good garage.)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the advice yea it was all jacked up right to take the pressure off the bolt and i used wd40 but i dont no ill get it sorted.
ive checked fuses already im goin to try and borrow a switch first to test make sure before buying 1.
yea the springs are on the metal base this was just to make it lower
the hub adaptors could cause them problems it depends in the offset of the alloys. i was concidering a hub conversion but most good wheels would still need wobbly bolts the hub adaptors are 5x100 so alot of mk4 golf/bora alloys would fit ill just see what happens and what alloys come up at the right price. plus ive have to get new spares and stuff if i did a hub conversion.
yea matty it looks like im going to have to do something like that i had an air gun on it before the head started to strip and it couldnt budge it. worst thing is it was out last year to fit the lowering springs and i just put back in normally no gun or anything so it shouldnt be soooo tight

1 - 20 of 24 Posts