Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i first picked my new car up the turbo sounded slightly different than my old car. (new cars eds mapped) then i derestricted the airbox and put me panel filter in. and now the turbo growls! is this normal?it sounds gorgeous, a proper wush of air, its nice n loud!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Should be ok m8, when the turbo whines and sounds like a police car then you know you have turbo problems!
errrm mines been sounding like this since day one, but only at really low revs when cool you hear a slight police-car-siren-in-the-distance type sound.

Other than that i get the sweet whistle as it spools up, more so when engine temp is above 30-40, and during hard acelleration i get the growl. Always thought the low rpm cold engine whine was normal.

·
Registered
11,005 Posts
Lol, mine did that when it was cold but then it started doing it all the time at low revs (off boost). Never smoked or lost boost though just made the noise. I've changed the turbo now and it doesn't make the noise even when cold now.

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
there is a known concern regarding the "banjo bolt" that is on the oil feed line to the turbo it gets blocked and starves the turbo of oil until it fails and you need a replacement turbo along with the new "banjo bolt" that has a better gause inside so it should not get blocked

·
Registered
693 Posts
Do you have a part number for banjo bolt mate , maybe do an upgrade, I would rather change it than the turbo go just as it goes out of warranty .

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Mine's been making the siren noise since I got the car, 10k later and it's still doing it.

I suspect some turbos are just noisier than others. We've a few 1.9CDTi Vecs at work, some are totally silent, others have noisy tubs like mine. They're all 80k+ engines, none have had any turbo issues.

Also heard a Saab 1.9TiD (same engine) with the noisy turbo, belong to a guy I used to work for. Again, his has been doing the noise for years.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So if thats the case where some turbo's growl & others dont, does it mean there's nothing to worry about?
Just for curiosity is this banjo bolt easy to replace (diy) or dealer job?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I've been told by a lead tech at vxl that the siren type noise at low rpm, when cold is normal, not phekked turbo.

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
So if thats the case where some turbo's growl & others dont, does it mean there's nothing to worry about?
Just for curiosity is this banjo bolt easy to replace (diy) or dealer job?
warranty / dealer job only when the turbo has failed

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
When **** comes out your exhaust and you can't rev over 2000rpm is the time to worry about the turbo. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts