Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 15 plate astra design and need some help understanding the settings , ive searched these forums and gone through the manual and assume im missing something obvious ? I have recently had issues with thcar telling me tyre pressure is low ( light on dash) i have had it into ATS and they have checked all the tyres for pressure and leaks and say all is well.

It has the basic computer with a couple of settings , one of these settings being tyre with three optjons hi , low and eco . It is set to high , is this what it uses to monitor pressure? I have the tyres inflated to 33 psi as per ats advice , the manual has an eco pressure of something like 39 psi i was told this could save fuel but increase tyre wear.

Soi was wondering if i have it set to high is it expecting a higher pressure and thinking they are going flat? Or am i completely on the wrong track with these settings , i cant find ant info on this setting anywhere i rang my local vauxhall garage and she said she couldnt find anything relating to this setting which was helpfull ?

Thanks for any advice

Darren

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It has the basic computer with a couple of settings , one of these settings being tyre with three optjons hi , low and eco . It is set to high , is this what it uses to monitor pressure?
IIRC, yes. As you've got the setting on "high", but you're running at 33 psi, which is the normal tyre pressure, that's why it's telling you the pressures are too low. You need to change the setting to that which reflects the pressure you've got them currently set to, which is most probably the "low" setting.

That aside, I was told by my local tyre garage that 33 psi is slightly too low which was why my tyres were wearing down quicker on the edges than the centre of the tyre. They advised to increase the pressure to 35 psi. Not had a problem with uneven wear since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right set to low now thank you :) . Ive got 10k on the car (not my miles we just got it) and the tyres seem to wearing pretty evenly so far

·
3,891 Posts
What engine and tyre size do you have? The correct pressure will vary slightly by model.

For what it's worth I run 36psi in mine and have done for 5 years now. The tyre place actually congratulated me on how even my tyre wear was when I had the first set replaced!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 1.6 Petrol 215 60 r16 . ATS put 33psi in , they told me to keep it there said i could check pressures on the calibrated machine they have there for the next few weeks to make sure there are no issues. I got a digital tyre gauge and it read 33 and 34 psi across all 4 so i think its pretty close to what ATS have , dunno how long its going to stay accurate for . Im pretty sure there isnt any issues now.

So 35 psi wont cause any excessive wear?

·
3,891 Posts
If you look at the "quick reference guide" that came with your car you will see all the tyre pressures listed. For that engine and tyre size 32psi is the minimum and 39psi is the "eco" setting (good for fuel economy, but not tyre life).

So I'd say 35psi would be good for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts