Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave:

I don't know if this was a coincidence or not, but I was thinking "I should really get this thing serviced on pay day, it's a bit overdue". Just as I thought that, the oil level light came on :shock: Coincidence, or what? :lol:

So just a quickie, I have a hardly used bottle of Dexos2 in the garage, so just want to top up the oil to get me by until I get it serviced... how much oil is usually in left when the oil warning light comes on? And how long should I leave the engine to cool before topping up the oil?

Cheers,
Mike :salute:

·
15,092 Posts
Engines are designed to work best with the oil at max. Anything less than this and things start not getting the optimum amount of oil. The first thing to suffer will be the top end / lifters.

This is why every Corsa C in existence has needed a timing chain - low oil means low oil pressure means chain tension is lowered just enough for it to wear, which eventually means the chain effectively lengthens and it makes an awful racket.

·
15,092 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean how long to leave it with the light still on... I meant how long should I wait to let the engine cool down before putting cold oil in :lol:
Good man (I thought the same as Blink :lol:), 5 mins to dip it and then you know how much to put in. I don't think it will hurt it having cold oil poured in, after all when it's changed at the garage the engine is normally warmish from being driven in and drained. :shrug:

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It'd been about half hour before I even posted, so all was well.

All topped up, light is off (Y) I couldn't help but notice that an SEC Ambulance car parked opposite and watched me do it with the sort of expectant look that I was gonna blow the engine up and take my face with it :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts