Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got Astra 1.6 sxi (Z16xep engine) Just had full service & MOT pass no problem 2 weeks ago but now i have noticed a problem.

Ticking noise coming from the engine i have just taken it to the mechanic they saying it might be the cam followers.

Ill try describing the problem

When i start the car in the morning you can hear a ticking noise and as i go up the gears you can hear it but when releasing accelerator and going down the gears you can't hear it.

Once the engine is stationary and the engine is warm they ticking noise has gone.

anyone experience this problem or know what the problem might be?

Thanks

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep check the oil every morning and its fine and the garage just checked it, i might get another oil change just to be sure

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this problem, it sounded like a loud noisy tappet and could be heard over the engine. It was the Z16XEP 1.6 petrol engine. I removed the throttle housing then removed the inlet manifold, it comes in two parts. It is the middle piece I refer to, it looks like a big tin can. I seperated it and inside are two metal flanges, screwed down with one torx screw each. One of the flanges had come loose. After tightening it up, the noise is away. The ticking noise increased with the revs of the engine. Sounded dramatic.Good luck.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crashbox thanks it was the inlet manifold and will be getting it fixed tommorow... vauxhall wanted to charge me £716 for new inlet manifold...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this problem, it sounded like a loud noisy tappet and could be heard over the engine. It was the Z16XEP 1.6 petrol engine. I removed the throttle housing then removed the inlet manifold, it comes in two parts. It is the middle piece I refer to, it looks like a big tin can. I seperated it and inside are two metal flanges, screwed down with one torx screw each. One of the flanges had come loose. After tightening it up, the noise is away. The ticking noise increased with the revs of the engine. Sounded dramatic.Good luck.
Could we please see a picture of this?

·
Registered
554 Posts
My z16xep is tickking and ive been quoted 600 from a local garage, i cant belive it im due tax and mot this month and i was planning in selling it :(

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£600 pound is about right

manifold & gasket cost is about £525 and about 2 hrs labour. Apprentley if you don't get it changed the flap can break off and shoot into the engine causing major damage to engine.

I have seen 3 garages so far and no-one is willing to secure the flap in the manifold, so hence meaning new manifold.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ill get 1 up tomorrow mine sounds badddd!! Its embarrasing to drive, its going in on monday :(

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i cant mines in garage as parts do not arrive till tuesday......... cami87 you not getting yours fixed? are still driving it?

·
A.O.N - Club Member - aka RoaGee
1,528 Posts
Ill get 1 up tomorrow mine sounds badddd!! Its embarrasing to drive, its going in on monday :(
bloody hell?! i didnt realise it was that bad! was it a gradual noise which escalated into what it is now? or did it just appear?

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK quick update so collected the inlet manifold today from vauxhall and went to the garage my car is at now heres the problem:

- Vauxhall done the diagnostic and said the error code is fr2219 - inlet manifold (no guarantee)
-Vauxhall say if i want to return part they charge 25% handling charge? - is this correct

Crashbox suggestion/experience might have to try this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts