Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a mk6 2012 astra 5 door 1.7cdti ecoflex stop/start.

On turning on the ignition I get the "theft attempt" warning.

Then after cycling past that I get the "service theft" warning.

Cycling past that goes to the digital speedo.

This happens every time I start the car.

Any suggestions on what to check before taking it to a dealer?

I am also looking for two new reverse park sensors as the last owner cut them off when fitting a new bumper. I have disabled them (this made no difference to the above warning) to stop the buzzer going off all the time its in reverse.

Looking online the 2 x sensors it needs will cost more than a full aftermarket system with 4 sensors.

It has a Cobra 0159 system fitted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very strange and I had a similar issue yesterday, I drove to the shops and was away from the car for 10 minutes, when I returned and tried to start it, I got the same "service theft deterrent" message and another one saying it could not locate my tyres (tyre pressure monitoring), as I then proceeded to drive, my speedometer was not working, my rev counter did not move from zero, my ESP off light was on and my handbrake light was on, the hill assist had also stopped working.

I drove home steadily, with no brake lights and no indicators (they had stopped working too). I parked up, turned the ignition off, tried to start it again immediately and it wouldn't start or even try to turn over, so I left it for a few minutes, got out, locked it up and tried again, it worked and has been fine ever since.

I had similar issues with my last Astra J which was a 1.6 (2010), in any mildly warm weather after 30 minutes of driving the steering wheel controls would stop working.

Edit: If you have two keys, try the other one, I have found with my car at least, one key will cause the car to trip out and set the alarm off occasionally.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looking at the list of possibles:-

• Body Control Module (BCM)
• Remote function receiver module/Remote control door lock receiver
• Security Indicator
• Door Ajar Switches
• Rear Compartment Ajar Switch
• Hood Ajar Switch

It cant be the last 3 as the warning would also come on for them being open. I have checked & they do warm if open.

BCM, whats that & where is it? Is it user testable?
As the key / central locking / dead lock / alarm all work i would guess that that is also ok.
Security Indicator, again what is it where is it & can I test it?

·
Administrator
3,920 Posts
BCM is Body Control Module. Basically a central black box that controls a lot of what goes on that's not engine related. I think it's buried behind the dash somewhere. I don't think you'd be able to test it as such.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a little play today & noticed that the led for the alarm was not coming on when locking the car & waiting 30 seconds or when double pressing the remote to activate it straight away. The dead lock activates but not the alarm. The roof button for the internal sensors does not make its light come on. So I am guessing that the warning message I am getting is due to this. With luck its a fuse but by the time I got that far it was dark so will have to hunt the fuse/fuses down tomorrow.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh & I also noticed that hill start assist is either not working or not fitted.

I have the manual handbrake, how can I tell if HSA should be fitted?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HSA (at least on later models) was standard on SRi and above specs as well as automatics even with handbrake lever versions

So my 2012 ecoflex 1/7 cdti Exclusiv, is that higher or lower spec than an SRi?

Is it possible to enter my reg or chassis number online & get the full break down of what it actually has fitted?

I checked the fuse for the alarm & it was ok, so still looking for help re that.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I just assumed it was an electric handbrake only thing. Don't see much point in having HSA if there is a manual handbrake
My previous works van (a 2010 Ford Transit Connect) also had HSA and a manual handbrake, so it's not just a Vauxhall thing. At least with that though you could turn off the HSA in the settings menu if you so wished.

Only time the HSA gets on my wick in the Astra is when I'm trying to put the car into the garage. There is a rising slope into the garage and driving in slowly (to avoid hitting the mirrors as it's a tight fit) the HSA comes on if you momentarily come to a stop. As it's an auto you don't have the same amount of control as you would with a clutch and gears to pull away again. Put your foot gently on the throttle and nothing, push a bit harder, still nothing, then all of a sudden the HSA releases and the car surges forward faster than you had intended.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HSA is for when you dont use the hand brake real or electric.

Its to give you time to move your foot from the foot brake to the gas pedal without the car rolling back.

It just holds the car for up to 2 seconds.

With the auto just wait & it will turn off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.