Astra Owners Network banner

The Silver Waft Mobile

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  phil67 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, after owning this for just over 3 years, I’ve found it’s time to move on from VXR ownership. On the right road on my own it was great – but everyday driving it is no longer fun with the increased daily mileage and family life demands of more space needed. Plus it was starting to cost too much vs it’s worth and needed the gearbox doing, a new diff, some suspension work and a random misfire to track down.

So, it’s gone on the pastures new via a trade in for this:

A 2.0 CDTi in SE trim spec. With the exception of having no inbuilt NAV, this is quite lovely to waft along in, with a large dollop of torque when needed.

First image when I got home (can you guess why?) was this:

Beeding. :):):)

After a week away (Lincolnshire with the family including dog) it has proven itself a great cruiser. Comfy as fluff, rides over bumps well. So the weekend saw me wash it (no pics) and take advantage of the big boot with this impulse purchase:

No huge modding plans at all, have started hunting out 'choice' options and accessories and fit what I can.

Cheers

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
HAHA! Well, pedantically correcting you, I didn't say I wasn't going to mod - just that I have no huge modding plans... ;)

Current list of accessories/mods is:

Boot Liner (ordered)
Replace first aid kit and triangle from boot lid as missing (ordered)
Change bulbs to brighter and whiter ones (need to read this)
Heko wind deflectors
Mudflaps and s/s boot lip protector
VXR aluminium pedals
Debadged grill

Later:
Smoked side repeaters
Smoked headlights
Roof bars
Possible DTUK tuning box

So yeah, I'm classing all that as more accessories than mods... :D

#5 ·
Goodies.

I originally looked for the Genuine Vauxhall boot mat, but was out of stock at Autovaux and £80 at Vauxhall. I’m not spending £80 on something that is literally designed to get ***** up, so plumped for this (£30) eBay version:

Pegged the corners under the tether-hooks while it re-forms itself flat as it came tightly rolled.

And of course replaced the missing first aid kit, hi-viz and warning triangle:

Think I might space the wheels out a bit, thoughts?

#6 ·
Goodies.

I originally looked for the Genuine Vauxhall boot mat, but was out of stock at Autovaux and £80 at Vauxhall. I’m not spending £80 on something that is literally designed to get ***** up, so plumped for this (£30) eBay version:

Pegged the corners under the tether-hooks while it re-forms itself flat as it came tightly rolled.

#7 ·
Goodies.

#8 · (Edited)
Gathered another couple of items from the list recently.

First off (and with the help of a mate from the Meriva group I admin on FB) I got a set of good condition roof bars, complete with 2 keys and good locks:

Fitted them one evening but was a bit dark to take the obligatory ‘satisfied’ pic, thought “not a problem, no work tomorrow so I’ll do it in the morning”. Hmm, yeah:

(still haven’t managed, oh well)

Next up, swapped these horrible things:

To a proper aluminium set, missed them from the VXR and make the footwell a much nicer place (excuse the dirt):

Accessories list now stands as:

Boot Liner (DONE)
Replace first aid kit and triangle from boot lid as missing (DONE)
Change bulbs to brighter and whiter ones (need to read this)
Heko wind deflectors (NO LONGER SURE ON THESE)
Mudflaps and s/s boot lip protector
VXR aluminium pedals (DONE)
Debadged grill
Smoked side repeaters
Smoked headlights
Roof bars (DONE)
Possible DTUK tuning box (HEARD BAD THINGS – BINNED THIS)

Looking at a little bit of lows, so thanks for the help Molly

Think the SRI springs are 30mm drop, so with that and some spacers on the wheels should better fill the arches. :look:

#13 ·
many on here with the mk6's ahve ran the dtuk boxes, as T says there was an issue with a VX firmware/ ECU update few years back which caused some issues with certain cars, but was a small % of them.

Any diesels ive owned I ran the DTUK boxes on them and they've been faultless( Astra 1.9 and Alfa 156 2.4 20V)

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks both for the comments and knowledge. Mine is a 2011pre-face so quite an early car - how would I check if I have the afflicted firmware?

On with the non-mod modding...

Performed an upgrade earlier this evening. Bought myself a set of LED interior lights:

Get yours here

Which took the interior from this:

To this:

#19 ·
Well I bought the pedalbox, what a difference that makes! WOW.

Also treated it to 4 new shoes at MOT time. Prestivo PV-S1. Not bad. Had todrive this little nugget around:

:flush:

Went rule breaking while out with a DofE group near BradgatePark:

Gathered some ‘needs’ ready for the family holiday laterthis year:

Fitted a V5754 from IceBoxAuto too:

With additional reversing camera:

Just in case anyone needs to know, to remove the boottrim on an ST you flip the handle covers out and remove the 4 screws behindthem and the 2 in the middle behind the warning triangle/1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid kitstorage, then pop it off with a trim tool. The fixing lugs are located asbelow:

Just now trying to get my iPod Classic talking to it andhave a Wireless Dashcam on order too.

#20 · (Edited)
So the iPod will not talk to the firmware on the V5754. At all. So I could mess around with a jukebox firmware upgrade to my iPod, or I could go awesome and install a USB post and just use a flashdrive.
Obviously I chose the latter.

Got myself a USB panel mount connector:

Bought a space centre cubby hole and got cutting:

Seemed to work just brilliantly, so fitted it.

Much better than the (defunct after installing the V5754) 3.6mm AUV jack. Currently has a 128gb flash drive in it - more than enough space.
Bought a WiFi dongle for it, not keen but it means I'm not eating my phones data.

Also treated (trialled for future purchases for the wifes car also) myself to a dashcam:

Unobtrusive from the inside:

Even has designated app for Android!

Just awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.