Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car when I first got it, April 2014 I think! 2006 55 Astra Mk5 1.8 z18xe, completely stock 100k miles, but got it for a nice price of £1600 ish.

First ever mod, a messy job but got better next time I touched them up :lol:

Colour code back strip and the v grille

Wasn't overly keen on the grille so this came fairly soon after (Dodgy number plate you can see in the first pic finally came off :lol:)

Next I started having a play with leds, white sidelights with a tint of blue (look whiter in person) blue interior lights, did the lot, blue number plate lights

Next on the list was on exhaust. No pictures of this but to be honest you're not missing much! It was a sportex.. Fitment was terrible, flange way to big for the centre section went over, blew badly had so much hassle fitting it. Then after only a year and a half was brown all on the underside with a fair bit of rust in places! Trust me when i say you are better off saving up a bit more and getting a custom or branded stainless!

Went a little while without mods after this until these lovely lights came up on here for a good price so bought them straight off. Thanks again
Car with devil eye drls!

Also got some wind deflectors and an aon sticker

Got my pipercross viper not long after (this is after having had a ramair and a k&n but wont bother posting pictures of each different filter)

Sorry not many pictures of this but fitted Koni shocks and h&r springs, car handled a,azingly with them on, cant rate them enough! Heres a pic of them freshly fitted, cardid settle and lower a bit more eventually

Painted the rocker cover blue, asked on here about this a bit, turns out car paint is fine with the heat. For the best job rub it down best you can, use couple costs of etch primer, then some normal primer, rub it down again till its really smooth, then put your colour over that. (This isn't what I did the first time and found out soon that the paint didn't adhere or react well to parts of the rocker)
Also wrapped the exhaust manifold, another tip, all the coloured wraps you see on ebay will soon just go white with the beat, tried a couple, dont know if it melts the co,our out or thats just what happens when it gets hot but thats what happens!

*loads more to come just dont want to lose my progress so going to post this now before its too late :lol:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then came the rear bumper with xp skirt! Old one was in a sorry state anyway and picked this one up in great condition from a mate on here so was very happy!

added some spacers next, I think they're 20mm each side also looking back at the pictures apparently this was around the time i dewipered it lol.

Next had to be one of my favourite mods, the decat manifold.. Despite being na the car popped like crazy when I let off the accelerator and hearing the gas roll out of the exhaust sounded so good!

A favourite addition now, the whiteline adjustable rear anti roll bar or my RARB!

Another photoless update, managed to pick up a port polished inlet manifold and throttle body with some nearly new injectors off a chap that blew up his corsa c! Got them at an amazing price too so very happy with that!

Loads more to come still!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vxr spoiler next! My old boot lid was keyed but actually swapped it with some cash his way to a guy that's cutting through it and adding a bit wing for his time attack vxr, so he got a bootlid to use and some cash, and I got this nice untarnished vxr bootlid and spoiler

Next some vxr reps to use as spares whilst my wheels got refurbed

At some point ages ago, i forget when, i stripped the car inside, well i began painting it

Next some vxr brakes, braided lines, gm discs and some new ferodo pads

Some nice freshly painted pentas!

Bright white number late leds, went off the blue

Few more bits to go

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Finally got a decent exhaust!!! A cobra sport, sounds lovely and really well made

Well thats about as far as I got!!!

Past few months it seems my fuelings been off, was still hitting 0-60 in 8.4 and 134mph, but the fuel trims were all over the place, it would also occasionally miss. The gearbox then began to play up getting really hard to change gear.

Then today... out of nowhere car just bangs, starts constantly missing, sounds like a tractor, popping constantly through acceleration. Under closer investigation got oil on the pistons engines blowing loads out of breather hoses, cars shaking all over the place and sounds like its only running on 2 cylinders.

I love this car to bits, and with whatever little spare I've had after lifes expenses and treating the family I've spent a fair bit on it. Thing is its 11 years old now, 140k, and I'm thinking its no longer economically viable to keep ploughing money into it. :'(

Plan is to strip it of all the 'fun' bits and store them and pick up either another mk5 with lower miles, either z18xer, z20ler/lel and carry on where I left off but with a better base to work on!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate :) yeah its a shame but exciting looking at new cars now. Definitely going turbo this time though

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers mate, stuck between a corsa 1.6t a mk5 1.6t or a mk5 2.0t, trouble is they all come with a chocolate gearbox! Nightmare trying to find something that's both quick and reliable for under 3k

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:rofl: I was hoping for one with more of a 'rat look' if I'm paying a premium for an old golf :lol:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah if I was to put in another z18xe could do it cheap. But even with lairy cams and a custom map I might see 160-170 thats at a push, most have different inlet manifolds to hit that. Its like getting blood out of a stone modifying an na car for power! Might as well take the opportunity to get a better base to work on!

·
888 Posts
Shame to hear your Astra has developed problems, hope you get a replacement soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts