Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come to start working on my Megane..

Yeah I know it’s not an Astra but I’m still going to post it… (just for you Pete)

For all that don’t know about my old car.

It looked like this

Saphire Black 1.9 CDTi running a cross between 888 and VXR mods (all the best of both worlds)

My new car started life as a standard Renault Megane R26, but for some reason it had both the Phase 1 and Phase 2 graphics,

Phase 1 on the front

Phase 2 on the back

I was very surprised that the dealer updated all the graphics to the Phase 2 variant without having to ask them and I drove off the forecourt a very happy man.

This car comes with as standard
  • Climate Control
  • Auto Lights
  • Auto Wipers
  • Cruise Control
  • Recaro Bucket Seats
  • Brembo 4pot Brakes
  • Headlight Washers
  • Projectors

The only real thing it doesn't have as a standard option is something called the LUX pack (which between you and me is an armrest)

1st things 1st, it was in need of a damn good cleaning, so I threw up the Bat Signal and two really good guys answered the call to arms
In exchange for food and beer Dave and Kev came round and helped me clean the new car to within an inch of its life

A lot more pics here
http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk..._mad-Vs-Herc-s-F1-Megane-(56k-NO!)&highlight=

and the full photoshoot here
http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk...1-800Bhp-Photoshoot-(lots-of-pics)&highlight=

So now that was out the way it was time to start adding my little touches to the car
1st of which was to replace the standard garbage stereo with my Alpine Unit, Bluetooth adaptor and Brodit Phone Cradle.

The car sat like that for a while as I was just enjoying the completely different driving style compared to my Astra..

But recently I have started with the mods again..

More to come….

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I realised that the interior trim was very dirty.
Being white / cream it showed up the dirt really badly and was a royal PITA to clean.

So in true British (Keep Calm and Carry On) style I came up with a battle plan and set about it.
I called a local coachworks place for a quote on retiming the interior in black material and they were coming back with silly quotes of 700+ pounds.

“**** that” I said and went off to Google, As my Google-Foo is quite strong it didn’t take long to find a product that should do what I want for a fraction of the price.. (Yes I’m a northerner by heart and Yes I’m a cheapskate)
So a few days after I had entered my card details into the interwebs, some boxes turned up..
The 1st contained

I plan on just painting my nasty cream interior dark grey / black to smarten it up a little..
However the 1st thing I had to do was strip the interior from the car…

With the rear seats and rear trim panels out

The car looked like this

Not pretty at all..

Then it was time to remove the roof lining

Now that was a biatch of a job..

I had to tape all the cables back into place so I knew where they go when I put it all back together

Then it was time to start painting some stuff.

1st thing was a small test piece of the roof trim to see how this fabric spray works and after doing this I was not very impressed

Before

After

They came out blotchy and spotty and didn’t look much better than before. However my Google-Foo is strong and persevered with more research into the product. It turns out I was just being a tool and doing it wrong. So I tried again, This time on the A pillar trims and I’m please to say they came out much better

Before

After

These are currently drying from there 1st coat as I type this..

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whilst the interior was out I decided to paint and fit my rear strut brace..

These are made by a guy on a Megane Forum and are awesome

It arrived packaged like this

And is attached to here

So once again out comes the paint, this time it was PlastiDip as I was a bit curious about the product and I thought I would give it a try

After 3 or 4 coats it was starting to look good

I know its not a smooth finish but that’s not what I was wanting..

Then it was time to start fitting

Not bad if I doo say so myself

And with some of the boot and side trim refitted

But of course like an absolute bellend I forgot to refit the seat brackets

So out the side panels came again to fit those..

The original plan was to just remove the rear seatbelts all together, however once I stripped the interior I noticed these

So I lost my nerve and left them in place, The belts themselves will be hidden behind the panels after I refit them

More to come…

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
I always like to see progress threads where people take the cars to bits etc cos I know i don't have the nackers to do that myself lol

This should look good once its done and make for a tighter/racier feel inside the car (Y)

Kudos Ian

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last but not least in this modding spree were my wheel spacers

Bought from evil bay the turned up within a few days

And fitted after cleaning the wheels

And as a last final flourish from the weekend just gone
I also painted my rear diamond

That’s it for now, but there will be more to come over the next couple pf weeks as I have to have this ready for TFS

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
see your rear diamond........now it looks like one BIG button?

like a calculator for simple people...

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
looks good, would sound awesome with a miltek on.

How did you get on with the plasti dip seen a few threads where peeps have used it, one some guy did his whole car and it looked good

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks good, would sound awesome with a miltek on.

How did you get on with the plasti dip seen a few threads where peeps have used it, one some guy did his whole car and it looked good
So far I have only done a few bits and to be honest I am impressed.

It goes on like it is supposed to and it comes off like it is supposed to,
The only thing I'm not too sure about is the durability of it but only time will tell on that one

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I do have a secret soft spot for these cars. Surprised the interior wasnt black to start with though seeing as its a sporty one.

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have a secret soft spot for these cars. Surprised the interior wasnt black to start with though seeing as its a sporty one.
Its a Megane thing apparently, the MK1, MK2 or even the top of the line new MK3 all have white head liners for some stupid reason

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
So far I have only done a few bits and to be honest I am impressed.

It goes on like it is supposed to and it comes off like it is supposed to,
The only thing I'm not too sure about is the durability of it but only time will tell on that one
yeh heard good things about application very thin coats but loats of em, you can get a laq aspray too. durability from what i have read is very good, people have used it on their wheels etc so can cope with very very low temps and high ones also. But best of all if you dont like it peel it off

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeh heard good things about application very thin coats but loats of em, you can get a laq aspray too. durability from what i have read is very good, people have used it on their wheels etc so can cope with very very low temps and high ones also. But best of all if you dont like it peel it off
Thats what I'm hopeing to be honest.

I'm off next week and the plan is to do my wheels with the stuff

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
Nice work there mate.

I'll admit I've never been too fussed on these, but after having a nosey round yours I have been turned.

Looking forward to seeing how far you take this one!

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have just ordered one of these

and a set of these

Hopefully they will be here in time for TFS

·
A.O.N. - Full Member
1,652 Posts
It'll still fold up in a crash though, just not as much as the usual cardboard box :D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts