Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking at an ex demo GTC sport in technical grey, went for a test run in it this afternoon and very impressed with both the ride and the apparent grunt through the rev range (it's a CDti 165).

I deally probably would have preferred to have gone for an SRI model, but have to say that this is hard to resist, only 5k miles on the clock, spotless and less than £14k.

Going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow, but I suspect this will be mine by the weekend. Trouble is that will then involve another spending spree as I want to box it, change the head unit and get some little odds and sods. Very nice car though :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yep they are good cars Neil (it's about time from vauxhall), am really happy with mine and the 165 model can certainly move. Not sure about anyone else but i've only seen 3 other than mine on the road since march!! which is a surprise.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
The J is a really nice car, especially how its laid out. How it all 'flows'.

Ive not seen a GTC at all on the road , only the 5 doors (I've got a 5 door). Then again, I don't really like driving that much lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They don't seem to be very common, that's for sure. Speaking to the salesman whilst on the test drive he said they sold quite a few early on, but sell them rarely now. I've seen very few in the metal that I've noticed, hopefully will help the residuals on them.

Just made the phone call, collecting Saturday morning, got them to agree to do the one year service for me first, though it's not actually due for a couple of months. Quite excited about it now :mrgreen:

·
Registered
716 Posts
The GTC is becoming a frequent site up here in Cumbria (the real north west!), trouble is from a distance they look like a J 5 door VXline, then you see the side and wide rear stance and "ahh....GTC!".

Nice looking car.

·
3,903 Posts
They don't seem to be very common, that's for sure. Speaking to the salesman whilst on the test drive he said they sold quite a few early on, but sell them rarely now. I've seen very few in the metal that I've noticed, hopefully will help the residuals on them.

Just made the phone call, collecting Saturday morning, got them to agree to do the one year service for me first, though it's not actually due for a couple of months. Quite excited about it now :mrgreen:
Looking forward to welcoming you as a J owner on Saturday :thumbs: Don't forget to post some pics for us!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well picked her up about 11 this morning and headed off to Suffolk for a day out. No chance to actually sit and fiddle with stuff before we went, and I had to keep stopping myself investigating things on a busy A12.

Car was A1, very impressed. On the dual carriageway section at speed it was reasonably quiet, comfortable and a very easy drive. The torque available makes lane swapping and overtaking a breeze, and I can almost drive it like an automatic.

Left the missus' car at the Tesco near the stealers, so dropped her off when we got back and had the run to home on my own. Half hour of twisty B roads to home, and again very impressed with the car. Having had a few sports type cars in the past (in fact I still have a 1991 Celica GT4) I was a little worried that the refinement and ride quality was going to mean it was a bit wallowy when giving it beans on the back roads, actually very impressed by the handling, it really does go where you point it, and bodyroll is fairly minimal too.

Got home a short while ago, sat for a while and programmed up the audio, radio stations etc, just waiting for it to get dark now so I can see what the dash looks like in the dark :D

Will stick some pics up tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick pic, I'll try and get some better ones this week But my new pride and joy, really pleased with her so far :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Congrats Neil

I do personally feel that the starker colours, like red or yellow, work best on the GTC, although I've also been a fan of darker greys since owning a lovely Cavalier SRi in Gunmetal (some 15+ years ago
)

Nice bit of "I'm half trying to fight it, kind of... but just know I'll be buying it anyway" shopping too - I know that feeling! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats Neil

I do personally feel that the starker colours, like red or yellow, work best on the GTC, although I've also been a fan of darker greys since owning a lovely Cavalier SRi in Gunmetal (some 15+ years ago
)

Nice bit of "I'm half trying to fight it, kind of... but just know I'll be buying it anyway" shopping too - I know that feeling! ;)
Haha, your post/story resonated with me lol, this all happened in a couple of days, was just browsing a few websites when I spotted this, three days later had agreed to buy it :)

Agree on the colours, first choice would have been red, but actually I do like this colour and it seems to attract me, my Celica is almost the same colour, so is the wife's Colt. Thing I do like with the dark grey/silvers is the fact they look cleaner for longer.

(I had a cavalier 15+ years ago too, was blue though, SRi 130, loved that car at the time.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts