Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically my 1.9 was shooting white smoke out of exhaust when I start car noticed my mpg wasn't the best so thought best check the swirl flap to find out it had come of and was laying on top of the inlet... After more looking a noticed that I could move them starting from left to right number 1,2,4 but not number three... I believe this means a need a new inlet manifold dont really know could anyone shed some light??
also my local garage seems to want to charge me a little more than I seem fit as I can get a new inlet for around £160 with de swirl flapped..
Anyone know garage they could recommend to carry work out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The egr was cleaned would say about 6 month ago but suppose could be clogged up in that time will check in the morning.. Not checked boost pressure sensor though will try to find a guide how to do this.. Not the best with cars but with guide to follow anything is possible haha if both clean any suggestions from then? Been few garages n they just don't wanna touch it round here :mad:

·
Premium Member
59,266 Posts
EGR could easily be dirty in that time. Blank it off for best results.

Boost pressure sensor is mounted in the inlet manifold, at the back towards the left, behind the swirl bar. One bolt holds it in. Give it a wiggle as it has a rubber seal. Clean it with carb cleaner or similar.

Replace the manifold with your choice of factory or deflapped.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My car was doing the same, I changed the air filter, cleaned the EGR and boost sensor and refitted the swirl flap bar and it hasnt done it since. As said dont force the 3rd one as thats where the motor for it is

·
A.O.N. Chief Numpty - Lee
10,683 Posts
As said above really... Sensor is easy to clean, one bolt, pull it out and clean with carb cleaner, but DON'T use anything to poke it with or a brush to clean it, as you'll damage the sensor, I usually spray some carb cleaner in the lid from the tin, and leave the sensor to soak naturally for half an hour...

Also, as said, 3 isn't supposed to move, if you can move the others freely, I would say that its popped off due to the little ball joints on the rod just wearing ( as they're only plastic!)... Buy one of these here, I've used them on a few cars now and works a treat!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Grad...652909?hash=item58b5d3682d:g:14YAAOSwxvxW6-on

Good luck!

Also, my old 1.9 used to puff out white smoke in the mornings first thing on start up, and it did it from brand new!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers everyone... cleaned egr and the boost sensor looking like new now :) think it's time to invest in a better swirl flap! Didn't force third thank God!!
Such common problem but can cost you a right fortune if not looked after... Egr blank for me soon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So been for a drive to work and back and after all this time I finally get the p0400 code on my car.. Might sound like a noob but this is due to me not having the swirl flap bar on correct? Or is it just because I cleaned the egr and boost sensor?
Can delete the code with my device but just checking it's that reason and not that the inlet fully cloged up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.