Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about swapping a z16xe1 easytronic with z18xer manual.
What do i need to change between the engines?
Will i feel the difference between the two engines?
Is it a straight swap or complicated?
Should I do modifications directly after swap or wait some time until I test the engine?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The driveshafts might be the same depending on gear box. The rest is a straight swap really. Would benefit for the better brakes and stiffer suspension. Other than that, exhaust, fuel lines etc are all the same. The intake is differant too but it might fit but if you have the money get a diblas flow master.

But the big question is why? If your swapping get a 2.0t or 1.6t. Better yet, if you have a standard car, do a trade in. Much cheaper

·
aka The Historian, "i love an old thread"
15,116 Posts
I when I started driving I started with the 1.6 easytroin, I then changed to a 1.8vvt manual. I immediately felt the difference, was much better! However I swapped cars, not engines so can't comment on what's required to change engines over

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The driveshafts might be the same depending on gear box. The rest is a straight swap really. Would benefit for the better brakes and stiffer suspension. Other than that, exhaust, fuel lines etc are all the same. The intake is differant too but it might fit but if you have the money get a diblas flow master.

But the big question is why? If your swapping get a 2.0t or 1.6t. Better yet, if you have a standard car, do a trade in. Much cheaper
the z18xer comes with a manual gearbox, afaik it is the same brake discs 280mm front 264mm back.I've got K&N 57s-4900 air filter.

as for Why? here in Egypt there is almost no 2.0T or 1.6T if there is there it will be very rare, the 1.8 is very rare too. all the astras came with 1.6 easytronic/manual due to high taxes on car engines with more than 1.6L.

I think i will be the first astra with z18xer in Egypt.

What about the electronic and Saloon loom will they work plug & play, i have my car security code,and the motor security code

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
So get a 16t import... Will still be a first and have plenty go. 1.6 to 1.8vvt is a jump but 1.6t is still faster yet and is rare here too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will take 1-2 months for the 1.6T to arrive , I don't have time to wait for it.
Now the z18xer came from a front car half with everything except for the ECU , will the z16xer Ecu work with it?
should i wait for the 1.6T instead ?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
You would be better with the correct ecu. Plus yours is a total diferant engine so doubt it will work with out getting the correct set up planted on and even then i doubt it will be cheap or be do-able!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You would be better with the correct ecu. Plus yours is a total diferant engine so doubt it will work with out getting the correct set up planted on and even then i doubt it will be cheap or be do-able!
I'll use the z16xer ecu on the z18xer not my current engine(z16xe1). I saw on a website the Siemens simtec 75.5 will work on both and simtec 71.6 will work on the 1.8 not sure if it is correct of not . I'll try to find the ecu, it took a lot of time to find the engine now ill need to find the ECU maybe ill order it online, if i didn't find it here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have push start button OEM from factory with easytronic transmission , will it work with the z18xer engine can it be enabled with tech-2 or i need to change it to normal key? the mechanic says that it won't work with z18xer manual and to cancel the push start button i need to change saloon loom and the rec and dashboard loom is that true?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts