Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around for new springs, then somehow moved onto shock absorbers and then found myself on suspension kits (which all of a sudden became expensive) - of course. Shed loads of options so also becoming 'baffled'

Can I start with just getting the springs first and add on from there? Or do you recommend to get shock absorbers with them. Ultimately I want a nice lowered look, but it HAS to be comfortable to drive.

Sorry for all the posts lately, I'm learning :)

Thanks

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
just get some springs for now, under £200 easily

it wont be as comfortable as it is now, despite what everyone thinks, it will make it firmer and bouncier but if you go 30mm all round, shouldnt be bad at all

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
you could just go for the springs atm, if you don;t want it really low you could get SRi springs which are about 15-20mm over standard, then theres the VXR springs, then theirs the eibach pro/sportlings that are the most common lowering springs used.

If uoi want really low the best option is coil overs but the trade off is the ride is really hard, best combination is the eibach's with either VXR shocks or the blitiens b8 shocks - also sold with the springs in the b12 kit.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Go for either DAP or Eibach with your current shocks. Then down the line upgrade to Bilstein B8 or VXR shocks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wicked thanks guys :) glad I can gradually grow on it, can balance everything out then rather than going all out on one thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't seem to find many springs that are compatible with my car... But found these, quite cheap too. Anything bad to say about Apex?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I know the suspension things been done to death. Thats what i was told when i asked not so long ago.....and there are many threads elsewhere on here that go into it in detail. Im now on vxr shocks, Dap R springs and its great for fast cornering and makes me drive faster than i should. But around town the ride isnt as nice, but its not poor.....just not as comfy. On my last car [not saying what it was cos someone might laugh] i lowered it 60mm front and back with Spax springs and shocks. Again, fast cornering, no roll.....but around town...new fillings required :( I'll tell you what i was told.....get the best you can afford.....you get what you pay for ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know the suspension things been done to death. Thats what i was told when i asked not so long ago.....and there are many threads elsewhere on here that go into it in detail. Im now on vxr shocks, Dap R springs and its great for fast cornering and makes me drive faster than i should. But around town the ride isnt as nice, but its not poor.....just not as comfy. On my last car [not saying what it was cos someone might laugh] i lowered it 60mm front and back with Spax springs and shocks. Again, fast cornering, no roll.....but around town...new fillings required :( I'll tell you what i was told.....get the best you can afford.....you get what you pay for ;)
TELL US WHAT THE CAR WAS!!! ;) .. But yeah, I suppose that rule applies to most things. I need to win the lottery

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
as long as you dont go more than 30-35mm ...the ride doesn't change much and shocks don't have to change either....eibach will be the better ones to get ideally... the pro kit

if you did want to drop it further and make the ride stiffer....get vxr shocks and either eibach sportlines or DAP springs and the car will be handle very well especially with daps and be lower....

but for now the pro kit seems a good start and was my first starting base too and was brilliant as i didnt want to go too low or change shocks at that time.

Also just quick one for anyone that does know....he has a club so are the club shocks same as the sri shocks?....only asking as the dorp should still be the same right as the sri's are 15 mm lower than the clubs...but is that due to the spring or shock :lol:

dont want him buying eibachs and finding it still rides high ! ....as a pro kit on the sri makes a fairly obvious difference

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as long as you dont go more than 30-35mm ...the ride doesn't change much and shocks don't have to change either....eibach will be the better ones to get ideally... the pro kit

if you did want to drop it further and make the ride stiffer....get vxr shocks and either eibach sportlines or DAP springs and the car will be handle very well especially with daps and be lower....

but for now the pro kit seems a good start and was my first starting base too and was brilliant as i didnt want to go too low or change shocks at that time.

Also just quick one for anyone that does know....he has a club so are the club shocks same as the sri shocks?....only asking as the dorp should still be the same right as the sri's are 15 mm lower than the clubs...but is that due to the spring or shock :lol:

dont want him buying eibachs and finding it still rides high ! ....as a pro kit on the sri makes a fairly obvious difference
What he said :p

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Scrap what I said about DAP, they are only suitable for heavy engines, forgot to look at what engine you had. The front will sit too high.

And the price of Eibach is rediculous, they were only £125 the other week.

Go for a set that is specific for the axle weight of your engine, apex, pi, gmax, eibach etc.

Ultimately you get what you pay for, but their is not a massive difference in the quality of a spring only.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I dont believe that about the SRI being 15mm lower than some standard cars as mine was ridiculously high. You couldnt just get your fist under the arches gap...........you could get you head under :nah: I might be exaggerating a bit....but you get my drift?

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
Well mines is lower when compared to a non sport based astra, might just be with it being the heavy cdti but I doubt it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
I dont believe that about the SRI being 15mm lower than some standard cars as mine was ridiculously high. You couldnt just get your fist under the arches gap...........you could get you head under :nah: I might be exaggerating a bit....but you get my drift?

The sri is lower than a club lol but both are like 4x4s!

·
Registered
53 Posts
ive got a sri xp, i want to lower it aswell but dnt want the ride too harsh would 40mm be just about right? dnt want it slammed just sitting on top of tyres

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
ive got a sri xp, i want to lower it aswell but dnt want the ride too harsh would 40mm be just about right? dnt want it slammed just sitting on top of tyres
Mines 50mm lower front and rear. It was maybe only 45mm lower at the back but its dropped a bit more now. It goes a bit lower with people in the back. Remember, a 1.9 CDTI has got the equivelent weight to 5 massive McDonalds eating Chavs living under the bonnet, so the fronts going to be lower than a light petrol engine. :roll: Im no expert and never pretend to be. BUT im on vxr shocks and Dap r springs and it sits very low and the ride is amazing :eek: compared to standard. Im not a 21 year old boy racer charging about [no disrespect] but even i go mad in corners now because ive got good brand tyres, great suspension .....and the car can! :cool: If you find the ride harsh.....then youre going too fast. Knackered inner city streets are 30 mph for a reason....there are poor sighted deaf grannies and kids about. The ride is fine at 30-35 mph on those rough roads. At 40-45 it wouldnt be. Respect the street....respect your ride :thud:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts