Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, im new onto this forum and i know this may have been ased a million times, and yes i have read the suspension sticky, but no definative answer for me, im an active member on the AOC forum. im just after some info and advice on lowering my suspension. i own a 2008 mk5 1.8 sri 3 door, and i have got a set of eibach sportlines to go on. my first question is do i need to uprate the the shocks? or is this unnecessary?? if so, i have been looking at going down the route of vxr shocks, could someopne please give me the correct vaux part numbers for these please?? i have got these numbers Front right = 93185815 Front left = 93185814 Rear = 93186750 x2, but when i went into vaux today, they said the fronts have been super seeded by a different part 93195984\3 and gave me a stupid price for them. can someone give me some advice please and waht the part numbers are if i need them, and where i can get them from asap as imhoping to get it all fitted this weekend, as i have also got a RARB from someone on another forum who is gonna help fit it all for me. any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
i would recomend changing the shocks i did, and it made a big diffrance, i just used sachs oe shocks for a vxr they work great and proably will cost you less them the vx ones

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool where can i get some of these from? Ive had an offer given to me of some used vxr shocks apparantly only covered 10k or so and removed due to fitting coilovers. would they be any good?? Or is it best to stay clear and get some new ones? The springs im fitting are used but in excellent condition no corrosion nothing broken or cracked

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Where can you buy the Sachs shocks from?

I got quoted £400 for new VXR shocks! :|

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah vaux gave me a stupid quote like that. ive checked them part numbers on the gps website and they come up at £30 notes for each strut, but theyre out of stock for one of them and i obviously need 4 lol

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone able to shed some more lught for me?? not much info regarding shocks. loads on springs lol.

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
You'll be perfectly fine just sticking springs on.

I've been lowered on sportlines for 3 years and although it's a bit bumpy there are no other issues. Mines a 1.9 derv though so has a heavier front end.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so if i keep the same shocks, it will just be a bit bumpy?? i want the ride to be kept comfy like oe, just lower on the springs, dont wnat to damage the shocks or naything. just so confusing

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
£400 for a set of vxr shocks!!! Wow that's got expensive, I payed £210 for a brand new set from the dealer..

The springs will be fine on standard shock but for better results then get a set of vxr shocks. Really good set up imo

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i know i need vxr shocks and thats what i want to get. but where can i get them from without paying the earth for them?? Vaux are a rip off. also, been a vaux part they will have a gm part number. what i want to know is what the part numbers are so i can try and track them down and get hold of them. as i have said there is loads of info on springs and hardly any on shocks. and as said o dont want to pay a stupid price for them.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm looking for better handling because mine actually handles like a boat on the standard springs!

Just read on another thread that someone said the Eibach's aren't much better than standard!
Well that's burst my bubble. :(

I need it to handle well without paying the earth! I thought Eibach's and Sachs VXR shocks were gonna be the answer.

I struggle to put any power down coming out of corners because it rolls about so much the inside wheel spins up. All the weight shifts to one side.
Beyond annoying.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
I'm looking for better handling because mine actually handles like a boat on the standard springs!

Just read on another thread that someone said the Eibach's aren't much better than standard!
Well that's burst my bubble. :(

I need it to handle well without paying the earth! I thought Eibach's and Sachs VXR shocks were gonna be the answer.

I struggle to put any power down coming out of corners because it rolls about so much the inside wheel spins up. All the weight shifts to one side.
Beyond annoying.
Upgrading the suspension won't help get the power down coming out of corners since it will still roll, what your looking for is a LSD so that the diff will lock in that situation instead of wasting power to the wheel with less grip.

Back on topic tho, blistien do the b12 kit which is basically B8 shocks with either sportlines or prolines, feedback on them seem pretty good.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive looked at them shocks and they seem expensive still really. and ive already got the springs. so just looking for the shocks. cheers for all this guys

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
LSD does help but only if your planting ya foot down early in a corner. A decent suspension set up will do just as well as having a LSD on its own. Ive got eibach coilovers and handling on them are superb.. But if I stuck on a LSD now with good suspension it will be a monster!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so after lots of research i have found that they are fitted with sachs shocks is this correct??

looking on eurocaroarts.com i found some others made by anschler and KYB are either of these any good???

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...a3878ab9b3e3c2b245c443aaca5779ca8dc9db&000925

and

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/V...8c46a15ccc12019447be14240664d06c4cf0b6&000925

which of these would give me the best performance?? i can get the KYB ones on ebay much cheaper, but i have never heard of them. does anyone know what make the vxr shocks are?? just want to make sure i get the rite shocks i want for the setup. what are the OEM shocks that are used and what do other people have fitted?? everyone just says vxr shocks, but what are they????

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also been offered these, but how can i tell theyre are genuine vxr shocks? and not just the ones hes removed from his car? also how can i tell if theyre in good nick? info on this and the last post would be great, cheers guys

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Any part numbers on the shocks?

As long as they're not leaking they should be ok. They may look dirty but don mean anything as they get weather bashed alot.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I asked him about part numbers and he said he couldnt remember. just think its too dodgey

·
Registered
236 Posts
I asked him about part numbers and he said he couldnt remember. just think its too dodgey
Just so everyone know these are my vxr shocks I'm selling and I will be posting these in the classifieds.

I didn't say I couldn't remember if they had part numbers?, Just to clarify, fronts...

The rears had some flakey surface rust as alot of shocks do so doing my best I rubbed them all down and have given them a couple coats of hammerite so they look better and are protected from future rust. The part number labels as you can imagine we're very very poor however here they are just to prove they are still gm vxr shocks...

Hope this clears things up!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts